News Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for November 21, 2013

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Life after Stamps: Burris buries demons

REGINA — For Henry Burris, the original game plan called for finishing out his playing days as the starting quarterback for the Calgary Stampeders, for settling down in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
    The Stampeders thought otherwise and instigated divorce proceedings in January of 2012 by shipping the gap-toothed face of the franchise to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, along with offensive lineman Mark Dewit, for quarterback Kevin Glenn.
    At the time, the man they call Smilin’ Hank kept smiling, kept grinning through his inner anguish.
    Those buried emotions bubbled to the surface Tuesday night upon touching down at the Regina International Airport as the starting quarterback for Hamilton in the 101st Grey Cup against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...h+Canadian+Football+League/9191570/story.html

Cornish hopes to inspire young Canadians

REGINA — In his first semester at Kansas University, Jon Cornish ran smack into a stereotype he didn’t even know existed growing up in New Westminster, B.C.
    “The No. 1 thing I hear when I went down to the States was that Canadians couldn’t ball,” the Calgary Stampeders tailback was saying Wednesday in a posh hotel ballroom in downtown Regina. “I heard that basically from the time that I got there to becoming the starter there.”
    On the cusp of another date with history, Cornish has the opportunity to Thursday to become only the third homegrown player to win the Most Outstanding Player award in the Canadian Football League.
    Tony Gabriel, of the defunct Ottawa Roughriders, was the last Canadian to hoist the award in 1978. Quarterback Russ Jackson (1963, ’66, and ’69) is the only other Canadian to win the highest individual honour in three-down football.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...ry+Stampeders+running+back/9192012/story.html

Cornish with chance for rare "double"

The doors to Saskatchewan are not, as rumoured, closed to him. No suspicious border guards checking identification. No APBs. No police sketches of a man 37 years after the fact. A statute of limitations goes, it seems, for even for the most heinous footballing crimes perpetrated against the province. Even for a wrathful Rider Nation.
    “No, no,” laughs Tony Gabriel. “I was actually back for a charity event in May, in Moose Jaw.
    “I got in and out, no problem.
    “Everybody treated me first-class. Couldn’t have been nicer.
    “I even had a couple of people come and over and say ‘We forgive you.’ ”

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...son+Tony+Gabriel+last+both/9192006/story.html

And, unfortunately, there's nothing new under "The Sun"....;)

TM

Tags: