Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for October 2, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for October 2, 2015

Pre-game comments - Oct. 1

Coach Hufnagel, QB Bo Levi Mitchell and DE Charleston Hughes address the media in Hamilton.

Bo Levi's QB Tips #1
    As part of his QB Club, Bo Levi Mitchell is giving out quarterback tips. Here's Tip #1.

Plenty of respect to go around as CFL's top two coaches go head-to-head in Stampeders-Ticats tilt

John Hufnagel and Kent Austin are the most successful coaches in the CFL.
    The two masterminds went head-to-head in last year's Grey Cup and most pundits expect a rematch again this November.
    But there was a time when the two men wore the same colour -- green.
    Hufnagel was coming off the most prolific season of his CFL career as Winnipeg Blue Bombers GM/head coach Cal Murphy's starting quarterback in 1986.

Calgary Stampeders anxious to finally get a look at Ticats' new digs
    The Calgary Stampeders are late to the housewarming party.
    In fact, they missed it altogether.
    The Stamps will be the last CFL team to visit Tim Hortons Field, the shiny new home of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, when they show up Friday night (5:30 p.m., TSN/News Talk 770).
    Former Tiger-Cats slotback Marquay McDaniel was among those excited to check out the 24,000-seat venue.
    “I heard it’s nice, it looks nice on film,” McDaniel said. “I haven’t seen the inside yet.
    “Winnipeg is real good, so I’m expecting something similar to that.”

Calgary Stampeders newbie Derek Dennis next man up
    Derek Dennis hasn’t hit the books this hard since his college days at Temple.
    The international offensive lineman arrived in the Stampede City a couple of weeks ago expecting to learn the curriculum over an entire semester. But the mid-term exams got moved up.
    Dennis will make his CFL debut Friday when the Calgary Stampeders visit the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (5:30 p.m., TSN/News Talk 770).
    “It’s a lot quicker than I expected but I’m ready and I’m excited,” said Dennis, who will become the fourth different player to start at left tackle this season.
    “I tend to be a smart player. When I first got here, I jumped into the playbook just in case. You never know.
    “These guys have had a lot of injuries since the season started, so I was preparing myself for this moment.”

Young Ticats QB Mathews has daunting task against Stamps
    Facing the Calgary Stampeders in his very first CFL start doesn’t have Jeff Mathews quaking in his sneakers.
    It is, he patiently explained, just another test.
    “I think we prepare well as a group for every game,” the 24-year-old rookie calmly pointed out. “There’s a little bit extra, but I wouldn’t say it’s too much. Now that I’m the guy up … you prepare the same way.
    “I’m good, I’m excited. Just ready to get out there.”

New stadium, new QB await Stamps in Hamilton
    A few things have happened for the Calgary Stampeders and Hamilton Tiger-Cats since the last time they hooked up at the site of old Ivor Wynne Stadium.
    Running back Jon Cornish has picked up three rushing titles, three straight most outstanding Canadian awards and a league MOP.
    The Tiger-Cats made two Grey Cups, losing the most recent one to the Stamps last November, while the Calgarians played in two as well, losing to the Toronto Argonauts in 2012.
    The Ticats let Stampeders all-time leading passer Henry Burris go as a free agent as they picked up 2015 most outstanding player candidate Zach Collaros. Now the Ticats have lost Collaros to a season-ending injury.

Stampeders would clinch home playoff date with a win in Hamilton
    It’s an objective, to be sure, but it’s not something that has at all been in the forefront for the Calgary Stampeders.
    A win against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Friday night will ensure a home playoff spot. The Stamps actually became the first team to clinch a post-season berth when the Montreal Alouettes lost to the Ottawa Redblacks on Thursday night. The Stamps can’t finish worse than third in the West Division and Montreal’s loss ensures a cross-over can’t knock Calgary out.
    “I haven’t thought about it,” admitted quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell. “That’s actually the first time I heard it. I had no idea. It’s not really what we think about. You have to have the thought process of playoffs first, then win the division. For us, we’re playing a great team that we’ve always played close and we’ve had battles the last couple of years. That’s all we can think about right now.”

Stamps vs. Ticats: Five things to watch
    This is a game that many CFL fans have been waiting for: the rematch between the Calgary Stampeders, 9-3, and Hamilton Tiger-Cats, 8-4, the best teams in their respective divisions.
    The first time they met, way back on June 26, the Stamps won by a narrow 24-23 score. But neither team looks quite like it did in Week One, and thus here are five things to watch, writes Rita Mingo.

Stamps wary of facing another rookie starting quarterback
    The Calgary Stampeders defence has seen this movie before. They aren’t interested in the sequel.
    In Week 2 this season, the Stamps went into Montreal not knowing which young Alouettes QB they would be facing, but clearly it would be someone inexperienced, either Rakeem Cato or Brandon Bridges. It turned out Cato got the start, and took the Stampeders defence by surprise.
    Heading into Hamilton for a crucial meeting with the Tiger-Cats on Friday, the Stamps at least know the quarterback they will be facing, even if they don’t know much about him.

Rookie Jeff Mathews looking to forget tough debut, lead TiCats over Stamps
    Hamilton Tiger-Cats rookie quarterback Jeff Mathews faces a daunting task in his first CFL start.
    Mathews leads the Ticats against the Calgary Stampeders on Friday as the top two CFL teams battle it out on in the second rematch of last year’s Grey Cup final.
    Despite his lack of CFL experience, Mathews said he’s prepared to face the Grey Cup defending champions.
    “I’m excited, I’m ready to go,” said Mathews, 24, who played under Ticat head coach Kent Austin for three years while they were both at Cornell and understands Austin’s offensive systems as well as anyone.