News Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for October 26, 2013

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for October 26, 2013

Yannick Carter
    The Stampeders host the Roughriders on Saturday. Yannick Carter from the Calgary Stampeders joins Global Calgary with details on Pink Power.

Stamps are sick of the disrespectful Riders
    The hype machine has been chugging hard all week — and now, it’s time for football. The Stampeders can clinch first place in the west division with a win tomorrow over Saskatchewan. And as Brendan Parker tells us, the Stamps are done with all the talk.

For Calgary Stampeders defensive lineman Demonte’ Bolden, this week’s PinkPower game against the visiting Saskatchewan Roughriders holds special significance.
    In May, Bolden’s mother was diagnosed with Stage 3 breast cancer and underwent immediate treatment, including mastectomy surgery.

Receiver Anthony Parker looks to step up for Calgary Stampeders
    Anthony Parker hopes to step into the spotlight Saturday night.
    Or a bigger part of it, anyways.
    With Canadian receiver Brad Sinopoli out with a concussion, Parker is expected to see more targets against the visiting Saskatchewan Roughriders (5 p.m., TSN/News Talk 770).
    “It looks like I’ll be stepping into where Sinopoli was playing,” he said. “It’s nice to have a more consistent rep-load heading into this week.
    “It’ll be nice to get back out there and play football.”

Similarities set up interesting matchup between Calgary Stampeders and Saskatchewan Roughriders
    In the eight-team Canadian Football League, it’s hard to keep a secret.
    It’s not often you’ll have to turn over many rocks in search of a storyline connecting one team to another.
    Such is life on a small circuit with large coaching staffs and even larger personnel groupings.
    When the Calgary Stampeders go through the film of the Saskatchewan Roughriders, it’s a bit like looking in a mirror.

Quarterbacks hold all the cards as Calgary Stampeders host Saskatchewan Roughriders
    Kory Sheets and Jon Cornish haven’t just been carrying the ball lately.
    They’ve been carrying the headlines, too.
    Even though the two premier running backs have been hogging all the ink in the days leading up to the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Calgary Stampeders taking the field Saturday at McMahon Stadium (5 p.m., TSN, News Talk 770), both teams know when all is said and done, the ball will be in the hands of the men calling the signals.

Saskatchewan Roughriders receivers offer big challenge to Calgary Stampeders secondary
    There’s no doubt Kory Sheets is the biggest weapon in the Saskatchewan Roughriders arsenal.
    But the Calgary Stampeders secondary will certainly have its hands full with the Riders talented receiving corps.
    Is it the best group of ball-catchers in the CFL?

Stampeders' Jon Cornish, Riders' Kory Sheets going 'back to 'back
    Kory Sheets opened eyes and ruffled feathers recently when he proclaimed himself the CFL’s best running back.
    He was offered chance to backtrack a step or two Friday afternoon, but opted to take another step forward.
    “I’ll stand behind everything I say,” Sheets said. “No matter what happens I’ll stand behind ‘I’m the best back in the league.’
    “And if I didn’t get hurt, I still say we wouldn’t be having this conversation.”

Calgary Stampeders fans line up for Jon Cornish autograph session
    Folks line up as Calgary Stampeder Jon Cornish (R) signs autographs for over a hundred fans at Jersey City in Southcentre Mall in SW Calgary, Alta. on Thursday October 24, 2013.

Stampeders tired of talk, want action
    From the long-awaited approval of the southwest portion of the ring road to sunny skies and soaring temperatures in late October, Calgarians had plenty of reason to feel happy Friday on their way home from work.
    With the exception of two particular individuals under the employ of the Calgary Stampeders: Charleston Hughes and Jon Cornish.
    The two all-stars proved a tad ornery after the final walk-through to prepare for a crucial Saturday clash with the Saskatchewan Roughriders. At issue: newspaper clippings out of Regina documenting popular opinion in the Rider locker-room regarding the identity of the most dangerous running back in the Canadian Football League. tired talk want action/9085526/story.html

Sheets stands by his words
    If someone plans on slapping a muzzle on Kory Sheets, it’ll have to happen when he’s in pads, between those white lines. Across the hall from the visiting locker-room at the McMahon Stadium amateur facility in civvies the day before hostilities? Nope, sorry, just not happening.
    “Not at all,” reiterated the Saskatchewan Roughriders’ elusive tailback, asked if he regretted any of his recent chest-thumping comments regarding the personal mano-a-mano with Jon Cornish. “I stand behind everything I said. No matter what happens. I still believe I’m the best back in this league. Sheets stands words Roughriders Riders running back prove/9085556/story.html

Cote in seventh season heaven with Stamps
    Rob Cote broke into the workforce as a dishwasher at Smitty’s in Cochrane. Glamorous, it was not, scraping maple syrup and bacon grease off mountains of plates and silverware.
    From there, he graduated to a summer position — smiles mandatory — lifting screaming kids on and off the rides at Calaway Park.
    Pretty standard stuff. seventh season heaven with/9085519/story.html

QBs take trash talk in stride
    Darian Durant and Kevin Glenn were the voices of reason among all of the noise prior to today’s showdown between the Saskatchewan Roughriders and Calgary Stampeders.
    The veteran quarterbacks were complimentary rather than inflammatory when talking about their respective roles in what became a battle of words between the division rivals. Durant, who is in his fifth season as the Riders’ starting quarterback, appreciates all that Glenn has gone through during his 13 CFL seasons. trash talk stride/9085380/story.html

Western rivals waging a war of words
    The Calgary Stampeders are talking too much about Kory Sheets talking too much.
    For example ...
    “Personally, he talks too much for me,’’ Stampeders linebacker Keon Raymond said when asked about the Saskatchewan Roughriders star, who contends that he is a superior ball-carrier to Calgary’s Jon Cornish.
    “It’s almost to the point where I’m tired of hearing them talk,’’ Stampeders defensive end Charleston Hughes — also in conversation with reporter Rita Mingo — said of the Roughriders in Friday’s edition of the Calgary Herald. Western rivals waging/9085317/story.html

Subplots abound when Stampeders hosts Roughriders in big division game
    There's more on the marquee than the race for first place when the Calgary Stampeders host the Saskatchewan Roughriders on Saturday.
    "There's a few different storylines going on for this game," agrees Stampeder running back Jon Cornish, who is heavily involved in one of them.
    The main narrative is Calgary (13-3) can clinch the CFL's West Division, and the rewards that go with it, with a win or a tie. abound when Stampeders hosts Roughriders division game/9084652/story.html

Getzlaf, Dressler the focus for Calgary's 'D'
    When the Canadian Football League released the 2013 schedule, one had a feeling this late season matchup might have huge implications on the final standings.
    That is exactly what has transpired.
    A Calgary win clinches home field and a bye straight to the Western Final. A Saskatchewan win ensures the first place battles continues into the final weekend of the season, but also ensures Saskatchewan holds the tie breaker in the season series.
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Nice to see you back, Madman...and in spades! :D

Madman likes this.