Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for September 16, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for September 16, 2015

Mace goes back to school

Corey Mace stopped by orientation day at SAIT to quiz students on how well they know Stampeders football.

Post-practice comments - Sept. 15
    Coach Hufnagel and RB Jon Cornish, who's expected to return to the lineup on Friday, spoke to the media following practice.

The Breakdown: Parker TD
    Receiver Anthony Parker walks us through his first touchdown of the 2015 season.

Stampeders Ambassadors Charity Poker Tournament
    On Monday, October 26, 2015, the Calgary Stampeders in partnership with the Stampeders Ambassadors are very proud to present the first ever Stampeders Ambassadors Charity Poker Tournament!

Calgary Stampeders' Deron Mayo sets aside personal goals

Personal goals aren’t really Deron Mayo’s thing anymore.
    Personal challenges, on the other hand, are a weekly occurrence for the Calgary Stampeders weak-side linebacker.
    After proclaiming his goal last season was to break the CFL tackle record — he fell short by 76 tackles, as B.C. Lions linebacker Solomon Elimimian racked up 143 stops to obliterate Edmonton Eskimos’ JC Sherritt’s two-year-old mark of 130 — Mayo learned his lesson.

Jon Cornish back to balance attack of Calgary Stampeders
    When Jon Cornish returned from a two-month absence last season, he proceeded to tear the league apart to the tune of six 100-yard games down the stretch to secure his third-straight CFL rushing title.
    But that was then … and this is now.
    The Calgary Stampeders star tailback is once again set to return from yet another stint on the six-game injured list — this one due to a broken thumb suffered in late July — but expecting him to do what he did last season would be asking a lot.

Lineman Brandon Tett brings versatility to Calgary Stampeders
    Brandon Tett plays the position of football player.
    From offensive line to defensive line to linebacker to fullback, no one will ever complain about the 28-year-old’s versatility.
    Selected by the Calgary Stampeders nine weeks ago in the CFL supplemental draft — the Stamps forfeited a seventh-round pick in the 2016 CFL Draft in order to select Tett, who was toiling as a linebacker with the Arena Football League’s Portland Thunder at the time — the 6-foot-1, 260-pounder finally showed up at McMahon Stadium on Tuesday, as practice rosters across the league expanded by five players to 15 total this week.

Stamps notebook: Offensive line woes a rarity
    You’d think coaches have pretty much seen it all, given their years in football, but the musical chairs being played along the Calgary Stampeders’ offensive line has caught even Pal DelMonaco by surprise.
    “We’ve just been struggling to stay healthy,” the overseer of the Stamps’ O-line sighed. “This is the first time I’ve experienced it to this magnitude. It’s tough to build any continuity or consistency right now because we’re constantly having to move people in the line-up.
    “So, I guess no, I haven’t experience it before.”

Cornish returns to field, looks forward to facing Lions
    Looking refreshed, almost like he’d been on a nice long holiday, Jon Cornish took to the McMahon Stadium turf on Tuesday. And that is good news for a football team whose ground game needs a bit of a kick-start.
    “It’s been a long process,” began Cornish, the Calgary Stampeders’ running back who has been on the six-game injury list with a busted right thumb. “I’ve actually never broken a bone before, so it was interesting to get to see the inside of my body put together. I tried to utilize this time to make myself a better football player and we’ll see on Friday.”
    “It’s great to have Jon back on the field,” agreed Stamps’ head coach/general manager John Hufnagel. “He’s a great player and we need all the good players on the field that we can get. He’s very welcomed back.”

The Calgary Stampeders may be the defending Grey Cup champions, but that didn’t show in their early season play. The squad lost two of their first five games, including a 29–11 rout at the hands of the Montreal Alouettes in Week Two and a 29–26 overtime thriller to the Ottawa Redblacks in Week Five. Calgary barely managed to beat the Winnipeg Blue Bombers by a single point in Week Four.
    Most of the Stamps’ difficulties are due to injury — three starting offensive linemen went down, as did star runningback Jon Cornish. Wide-receivers Joe West and Simon Charbonneau-Campeau, alongside defensive back Buddy Jackson, are also on the injured list.
    But that’s all in the past. The Stamps now have eight victories and only two losses. Calgary sits atop the Canadian Football League standings and look every bit like champions. Their success is largely due to the gritty effort put forth by their injury-riddled offensive line.

Hufnagel will stay a Stampeder
    Last week John Hufnagel issued the following statement:
    “In response to rumours regarding my future in the Canadian Football League with a club other than the Calgary Stampeders, I feel the need to express the fact that I am extremely happy and proud to be a member of the Stampeders, I’m under contract with the club beyond the 2015 seasonand I intend to honour that commitment. I’m very pleased with our organization and all we have achieved and I look forward to many future successes. After reconfirming these intentions to our fans, players and organization, I hope everyone’s focus remains entirely on having a tremendous 2015 season, not speculation or false rumours about the future.”
    Thus the past, present and futureStampeder put to rest the rampant speculation in the Land of Living Skies that he would leave McMahon Stadium at season’s end to become the coach and general savior of the Saskatchewan Roughriders. It was then business as usual, figuring out to beat Edmonton for the second time last week. That didn’t go so well.