Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for September 19, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for September 19, 2015

Game Stats

Game Photos

Recap: Calgary 35, BC 23

Eric Rogers had 115 receiving yards and Bo Levi Mitchell threw 2 TDs as the Stampeders withstand a 2nd half comeback attempt by the BC Lions at McMahon Stadium.

Post-game reaction - Sept. 18
    Coach Huff and Stamps players discuss Friday's 35-23 victory pver the BC Lions.

Game balls - Sept. 18
    See who was presented with game balls after the Stamps' 35-23 victory over the BC Lions.

Lions 23, Stampeders 35
    Chris Rainey had two 103-yard returns for TDs, but it wasn't enough as Jon Cornish scored on a 16-yard carry in his return, and Jeff Fuller and Tony Harrison both had touchdown catches as the Stamps remained perfect at home.

Stamps 'win ugly' against Lions
    The Lions gave the Stampeders all they could handle, but ultimately lost. Did they expose any weaknesses in Calgary? Can Jonathon Jennings lead BC? The CFL on TSN panel has more.

Hufnagel not completely happy with Stamps win
    Chris Cuthbert and Glen Suitor discuss the potential for a new starter for the Lions, how the Stamps where able to bounce back mid-game and show how upset Calgary coach John Hufnagel was after the game.

Mitchell pleased with response to adversity
    The Stamps QB talks about responding to the Lions special teams play and what it means to have Jon Cornish return and make an immediate impact.

Stamps fire power too much for Lions
    How where the Lions able to be successful on special teams? Matt Dunigan takes a closer look and breaks down the way the Stamps where able to respond to pull out the win.

Monahan, Gaudreau and Bouma attend Stamps game
    Flames players Sean Monahan, Johnny Gaudreau and Lance Bouma attended the Stamps/Lions game on Friday Night Football and spoke about expectations entering camp, and their love for football.

Cornish’s late touchdown leads Stamps over Lions

Bo Levi Mitchell threw a pair of touchdown passes and Jon Cornish rushed for another in his return from injury as the Calgary Stampeders pulled away from the BC Lions in the fourth quarter to win 35-23.
    The Lions wasted a brilliant effort from Chris Rainey, who scored both a kickoff and punt return touchdown.
    BC was forced to use rookie pivot Jonathon Jennings after starter John Beck left the game in the second quarter with an apparent shoulder injury. He did not return.

Jon Cornish returns in fine form for Calgary Stampeders
    Jon Cornish is back
    In the endzone.
    The Calgary Stampeders running back made an impact in his return from the six-game injured list on Friday night, scoring a fourth quarter touchdown in a tighter-than-it-had-to-be 35-23 victory over the B.C. Lions at McMahon Stadium.
    “It was my third attempt,” Cornish said of his two earlier close-but-no-cigar attempts at the endzone.

Rogers climbing the ladder for Stamps
    The moment seemed to hang there, in memory, even longer than Eric Rogers hovered suspended in air. The No. 80 rising to Jordan-esque heights, as if held in place by invisible strings, before snapping his hands around the ball.
    A set of wire cutters or a stick of blasting gelatin wouldn’t have snipped it loose.
    A bit of Lynn Swann, a dash of Nureyev and a dash of Monte Carlo cat burglar jewel thief thrown in for good measure.

Lions coach and Hufnagel have long history together
    Theirs is a bond that stretches back a ways.
    “Huff?’’ replied Jeff Tedford. “Oh, yeah. We spent a lot of good days.”
    The two men became friends during stops in Saskatchewan and two years as part of the coaching staff here in Calgary.
    Tedford isn’t surprised at the empire Hufnagel has built since arriving here seven seasons and change ago.

Lions nearly Rainey on their parade but Stamps knock off B.C.
    For 30 minutes, there was no chance anyone’s ticker would be under duress.
    But as the second half unfolded at McMahon Stadium on Friday night, it was big play after great catch after defensive gem — all of which conjured up a sweat-inducing Calgary Stampeder victory.
    The Stamps overcame a kickoff return AND punt return for touchdowns by B.C.’s Chris Rainey, holding off the Lions for a 35-23 win, improving their West Division-leading record to 9-3.

Stampeders protect perfect home record
    The Calgary Stampeders’ defence exploited the B.C. Lions’ quarterback woes in a 35-23 win Friday.
    With Travis Lulay on the six-game injured list with a sprained knee and backup John Beck knocked out of Friday’s game in the second quarter, the Stampeder backfield made life hard for third-stringer Jonathon Jennings in his CFL debut.
    The score tied at 21-all early in the fourth quarter, the Stampeders kept the Lions out of the end zone, while Calgary’s stalled offence got back on track.
  2. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Hufnagel wasn't too pleased with the performance the team displayed last night.
    It is probably correct to say that today him and Killiam will have some serious discussions on how to fix the Stamps Special Teams. Outside of Parades, this unit might be the worst in the league.
    Just my observation:
    For the past four games I really feel DD is being out coached. After watching last night's game, until the team can consistently run the ball, Rodgers is all the Stamps have as a threat and a weapon.

If I was an opposing offensive coordinator all I would do is throw long. With exception of the "run D", the secondary is getting torched.

At 9-3, I shouldn't be so fickle and be happy that the team is in first place, but I'm concerned with the number of big plays this team keeps giving up.
  3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Coach Huff is 100% right - respect the fact they won, but that was an ugly ugly game by the Stamps.
  4. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

Nov 15, 2014
    I'm wondering if the injuries are taking their toll on the stamps.
    How many players can coach huff plug in as a replacement when
    One goes down?
  5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012

The Stampeders' mantra (as it has been for a number of years) is "Next man up!" ;)

"Yo! I said next!" :cigar:

Jason Newlin likes this.