Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for September 20, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    Calgary Stampeders News Roundup for September 20, 2015

Team-A-Palooza highlights

Here's some highlights from Team-A-Palooza night at the Stamps game.

Calgary Stampeders veteran Keon Raymond briefly thought about bolting for the endzone late in Friday's win over Lions

Eyes wide like the touchdown junkie he is, Keon Raymond was envisioning the eighth defensive touchdown of his well-decorated career.
    But the Calgary Stampeders cover linebacker figured a 120-yard sprint from endzone to endzone just wasn't feasible after he came up with an interception of B.C. Lions quarterback Jonathon Jennings -- one of two picks on the night for the 32-year-old ballhawk -- in the fourth quarter of Friday's 35-23 win.
    "I scanned it out, though," Raymond said with a smile. "When I got it, I scanned and looked at how many guys I had on the right to block and who they had. I was like, 'You know what, I'll just take a knee.'"

Calgary Stampeders admit Lions return-man Chris Rainey had a special night
    There's no doubt the Calgary Stampeders will be searching for answers when it comes to its kick coverage units this week.
    But a little credit where it's due: B.C. Lions returner Chris Rainey made a pair of impact plays, going back-to-back with matching 103-yard kick and punt-return touchdowns Friday night during the Stamps' 35-23 win at McMahon Stadium.
    "The punt, I don't know how he got out of it, but we had five or six guys trying to tackle him," said Stamps linebacker Karl McCartney, who's fourth on the team with eight special-teams tackles this season. "He made some crazy plays. I think he'll surprise a lot of people because, so far, he's definitely an elite returner in this league. I think you'll see a lot more of that action going on, not just against us, but against most teams, so good luck shutting him down."

Game Balls & Game Bricks: Calgary Stampeders 35, B.C. Lions 23
    The regular-season checklist is complete.
    After taming the offensively impotent B.C. Lions by a 35-23 score Friday night at McMahon Stadium, the Calgary Stampeders have now beaten every team in the CFL.
    While it's an insignificant achievement in the grand scheme of things, it's one that no other CFL team can boast.

Rainey night weighs heavily on Calgary Stampeders special-teams coach Mark Kilam
    As many of the Calgary Stampeders were off celebrating their ninth win of the season in various ways, Mark Kilam wasn’t getting much sleep.
    While the 35-23 win over the B.C. Lions on Friday night was the overall goal, giving up a pair of long return touchdowns to Chris Rainey in the process was not.
    “Plays like that make me feel sick. Literally,” Kilam said Saturday, some 17 hours or so after Rainey torched the Stamps for 333 return yards on the strength of matching 103-yard punt and kick-return TDs. “It takes me a while to get over them, and that’s just the way I am. I live in the moment and I put everything I have into it — so do the players — and those kinds of plays ... we played a pretty good game that got ruined by two plays.”

Rainey puts scare into the Stampeders but team holds onto first in West
    Take away one player and the B.C. Lions were probably wiped out completely on Friday night at McMahon Stadium. The Calgary Stampeders couldn’t take out that one player though.
    Lions returner Chris Rainey almost singlehandedly knocked out the defending Grey Cup champs, but he couldn’t play offence (or defence) as well as special teams.
    Of course, Rainey’s blockers did a good job, and the Stamps have to look at what went wrong. On the opening play of the second half, Rainey took the kickoff back 103 yards for the first touchdown of its kind this CFL season. Early in the fourth quarter, Rainey was at it again, this time fielding a punt at his own seven-yard line and finding his way through Stampeders defenders for another 103-yard touchdown.