Calgary Stampeders Nik Lewis Shows He Has Staying Power

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

1344530576361_ORIGINAL.jpg

Calgary Stampeders Nik Lewis shows he has staying power
    Scott Fisher, Calgarysun.com

Nik Lewis remembers arriving in the Stampede City as a wide-eyed rookie.

He never envisioned he’d still be here in 2013 preparing for his 10th CFL campaign.

“No, I didn’t,” Lewis said.

“But I remember after my workout camp, I looked at (former Calgary Stampeders scout) John Jenkins and I told him, ‘all I need is a one-way ticket, because I’m not coming home.’ ”

OK, so he never lacked for confidence.

Some things don’t change.

Lewis was summoned to Calgary by then GM/head coach Matt Dunigan, who wanted to have a closer look at the Southern Arkansas product.

“I got a call from Dunigan about four days before camp,” Lewis said. “Knowing what I do now, probably somebody else couldn’t make it, so they brought me in.

“I wanted to make the team and do something. I just didn’t know what it was going to be.

“I don’t know if you have long-term goals. Some guys think about the NFL. I know I was when I first got here.”

Lewis caught three balls, including one for a touchdown, in his first game and never looked back.

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/12/calgary-stampeders-nik-lewis-shows-he-has-staying-power

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Calgary Stampeders slotback Nik Lewis answering age-old question
    Scott Fisher, Calgarysun.com

The talk begins every time a receiver celebrates his 30th birthday.

Is this the year he loses a step? Is this the beginning of the end?

Calgary Stampeders slotback Nik Lewis is putting opposing defensive backs on notice. If you think he’s done, try him.

“They think every year ‘this is the year,’ ” Lewis said of the critics. “They’re like ‘well, he plays physical, so he can’t do it.’ Well, I think my body’s made to do it.

“I like to consider myself like a jumpshooter in basketball. Ray Allen can play until he wants to retire, because as long as you shoot jumpshots, you’re valuable.

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/1...slotback-nik-lewis-answering-age-old-question