Calgary Stampeders return home to find city ravaged by flood

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Calgary Stampeders return home to find city ravaged by flood
    Scott Mitchell, Calgarysun.com

The Calgary Stampeders returned home early Friday morning to find their city ravaged by floods and heavy rain.

But the nerve-rattling experience actually started on the way to Saskatchewan for Thursday’s pre-season tilt with the Roughriders.

“It was the scariest flight I’ve ever been on,” Stamps quarterback Drew Tate said Friday afternoon at McMahon Stadium after their scheduled afternoon on-field session was cancelled. “(We were) descending, and then we get down and we had to go back up, because I guess they overshot the (runway) ... people were kind of freaking out.”

It was nothing compared to what greeted them when they hopped off the return flight.

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/21/calgary-stampeders-return-home-to-find-city-ravaged-by-flood

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I can relate to the way the Stamps felt trying to land. Early last September, I was flying into Calgary & a thunderstorm was on the outskirts of the city. The winds were very high & it created a dust storm. The turbulence was incredible. We were being thrown around & people were screaming. A couple of passengers around me puked which just made things worse. We were on final approach & as we were about to land when the pilot aborted the landing. We went back up where we circled the city for about a half hour. We tried a second attempted landing & the turbulence was still very bad but the pilot went ahead & landed to much cheering & clapping by the passengers. Tell ya, when I got off the plane I felt like kissing the ground. That was a scary landing.