News Calgary Stampeders Training Camp News - 2013

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 29, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 29 - Stampeders release recently signed DL Moe Fountain.

Although Moe has now noted this release is only temporary due to injury.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

TRAINING CAMP DIARY FOR MAY 30
    from Stampeders.com

Rookie camp kicks off

Mother Nature wasn’t going to make it easy for the rookies trying to make an impression on the Calgary Stampeders coaching staff.

In what’s turned out to be almost a tradition, the dark brooding clouds stuck overheard, sending down the rain for the first session of rookie camp.

“Mother nature didn’t disappoint us,” said Stamps head coach John Hufnagel. “We expected it but I like how the players went out there and played hard and didn’t let the environment bother them.”

It could have made for some slipping and sliding on the McMahon Stadium turf, but the players were able to keep their feet under them for the most part.

The rookies have two sessions on Thursday and Friday before the official start of training camp on Sunday at McMahon Stadium.

It was the first time the Stamps coaches were able to get their hands on their recent draft picks, including second rounder defensive lineman Ben D’Aguilar.

“He showed his quickness and his strength,” said Hufnagel on the 23-year-old selected out of McMaster University.

Hufnagel, who just started his sixth season as head honcho for the Stamps, said the rain didn’t hinder the play of any participants.

“There is really no one out there that disappointed me,” he said. “Like I said the other day, I like the depth that we have and a lot of that depth is from the young guys that we either drafted or acquired in the off-season. They were out there this morning, slopping around and doing a good job.”

Rookie quarterback Ryan Perrilloux was absent from the first session as he was dealing with passport issues, Hufnagel said. He expects to see the Jacksonville State product land in Calgary this afternoon.

Read more: http://stampeders.com/article/training-camp-diary-for-may-30

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's training camp so of course it rained. And the passport issues Perrilloux is having won't help him make the team...

5. Rids

Rids Member

Just move it to the field house....oh wait...

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

LETTERS FROM CAMP WITH BRETT JONES
    from Stampeders.com

#69 Brett Jones, OL - May 30

So many emotions go through your head as you approach your first training camp. I drove up to Calgary from Saskatchewan, a six-and-a-half hour trip, with my dad.

I was nervous and excited all at the same time as I arrived last night, because this is a big opportunity in front of me. Thankfully, I don’t have school to worry about anymore — I can just focus on football.

It’s always nerve-wracking to come into a new locker room. I’ve met the coaches once or twice before, and some of my fellow rookies I’ve played against back in university. Now we’re on the same team.

Usually I’m a bit shy when I meet people for the first time, but a lot of the guys in the locker room are so nice that it makes it easy to come in and get settled.

Read more: http://www.stampeders.com/article/letters-from-camp

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

TRAINING CAMP DIARY FOR MAY 31
    from Stampeders.com

The cloudy skies remained, but luckily the rain didn’t come down for the third session of Calgary Stampeders rookie camp.

After the first day saw rain pepper both sessions, the rookies were able to show off their skills without worries of their feet sliding out from underneath them.

“The day’s not over yet,” said head coach John Hufnagel, adding a chuckle to the end.

Rookie offensive lineman Billy Peach said the majority of the offensive playbook has now been installed, something that should create an easier transition when the veterans are added to the mix on Sunday.

Hufnagel said he’s been impressed with the rookies’ ability to learn the playbook in such a short time frame.

Read more: http://stampeders.com/article/training-camp-diary-for-may-31

8. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

With this teams penchant for injuries they need all the depth possible.
    Every position on this team has solid depth throughout. All I can hope for is no major injuries during camp.
    The competition for a spot on this roster is going to be fierce.
    With exception to running back, on offense evey other position is up for grab. I think it is safe to say Jon Cornish is already on the roster and barring injury the starter. Outside of Cornish there will be some interesting battles for sure.

Looking at the defensive side of the ball, Charleston Hughes, Keon Raymond, are pretty much a lock. Corey Mace as well. The linebacker position and DB side of things are going to be quite interesting. Again there is so many players in the mix that it will be quite difficult choosing who stays or who goes.

The pressure to make this team will be intense. The difference in making this team is like a lump of coal - the players who can handle the pressure will shine like a diamond.

The hardest part is that some of the players who are going to be cut may end up with the competition.

9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

June 2 - The Stamps have released Kevin Dixon after failing his physical.

10. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Stampeders cut loose DL Dixon
    Scott Fisher, CalgarySun.com

The season ended before it started — again — for Calgary Stampeders import defensive lineman Kevin Dixon.

The Red & White released Dixon Sunday prior to main camp kicking off at McMahon Stadium.

Dixon tore up his knee on the opening day of camp last season and failed his physical on the weekend.

The Stamps also placed import quarterback Ryan Perrilloux, who is experiencing passport issues, on the suspended list.

Stamps GM/head coach John Hufnagel filled those spots by adding import defensive lineman Shawn Lemon and import quarterback Jimmy Coy.

Lemon appeared in a dozen regular-season games, including 11 starts, for the Edmonton Eskimos in 2012 and shared the team lead with six sacks.

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/02/stampeders-cut-loose-dl-dixon

11. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

12. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Training Camp Diary - June 2
    Main camp kicks off under rainy skies
    from Stampeders.com

The veterans arrived but Mother Nature still wasn’t going to make it easy on any player fighting for a spot on the Calgary Stampeders final roster.

Just like the two days of rookie camp last week, rain fell by the bucketful for both of today's practices but it didn’t put a damper on the festivities.

“It was a very enthusiastic practice,” commented head coach John Hufnagel. “I liked what I saw out there. There was a lot of stuff thrown at them and the veterans have a good grasp and got out to a running start.”

It was the first time the whole team had gotten together for a practice since last year’s Grey Cup, and they are ready to get going again.

For one new Stampeders player, the cold weather couldn’t keep him down.

“It was wet,” said Rod Davis matter-of-factly, a CFL veteran signed over the off-season to help in the linebacking corps.

“It’s always good to get back out there and get the juices back flowing. It’s football weather – nasty and ugly. As a defensive player, that’s how you like it.”

Read more: http://stampeders.com/article/training-camp-diary-for-june-2

13. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Camp report, Day 1: Bauman turns heads, quarterbacks do battle
    Five questions with Bo Levi Mitchell
    Kristen Odland and Vicki Hall, CalgaryHerald.com

Day 1 roundup

Chris Bauman was among the players who left good first impressions on Day 1. In the pouring rain on Sunday morning, the 28-year-old product of the University of Regina managed to make a few nice grabs and garnered some attention from head coach/GM John Hufnagel, who called him the most “productive receiver” of the morning session. Also, Canadian quarterback-turned-receiver Brad Sinopoli impressed with three catches during his first official day on the job.

“We’re just looking for talent, them to understand the schemes that we go out and execute to the best of their abilities,” Hufnagel said. “You’re not going to make judgments on one practice, that’s for sure. But it’s part of the evaluation process.”

EXTRA POINTS: DB Brandon Smith had a pair of impressive knock-downs in the morning while newcomer Romeo Pellum impressed in both sessions ... S Eric Fraser had an outstanding day with a pair of picks in the afternoon session and one in the morning ... Rookie OL Brett Jones was taking a few reps at centre ... The only injury to report from the day was LB Rod Davis (foot) ... Due to inclement weather, DL Justin Phillips, who is coming off a knee injury, took it easy Sunday.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...+report+Bauman+turns+heads/8468740/story.html

14. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Training Camp Diary - June 3
    Second day in
    from Stampeders.com

The rain didn’t let up for Day 2 of Stampeders training camp at McMahon Stadium. The morning practice was at a much slower pace than the previous day, but that wasn’t due to the rain.

“We had this planned before the weather was even a factor,” says head coach and general manager John Hufnagel. “Every other day we want to have a morning practice in traditional walk-thru mode. It will be a heavy teach period, basically a special teams teach period. But also I hit on the offensive and defensive side.”

Coach Huff admits that the weather isn’t exactly what he was hoping for to open camp, but says he’d “rather have it early in the training camp period because the players are still enthusiastic” and haven’t been losing focus.

The rain had stopped when the players emerged for their afternoon practice, but soon enough the skies opened up again. Practice No. 2 returned to the regular high-tempo pace.

Read more: http://www.stampeders.com/article/training-camp-diary-for-june-3

15. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Camp glance: As if on cue, predictable injuries begin to pop up
    Rookie receivers Hawthorne, Paul, Kemp and Webber are all on the limp
    Vicki Hall and Kristen Odland, Calgaryherald.com

And on the second day of training camp, the injuries predictably began to mount with rookie receivers Tim Hawthorne (hamstring), Josue Paul (hamstring) Donavan Kemp (groin) and Raymond Webber(hamstring) all on the limp. “They have some leg problems,” said head coach/GM John Hufnagel. “This weather is not helping out obviously . . . They’re trying to get back, but until we get some heat and they get some proper healing time, we have to wait.” The injuries, of course, come at a terrible time for young players trying to make an impression on the coaching staff. “It’s hard,” Hufnagel said. “They know that. But the thing they can do is make sure they stay with it mentally so when and if they get back on the field, they’re not making mistakes, because they haven’t been paying attention.” . . . Linebacker Rod Davis limped around the field Monday in a walking cast on the same foot he required surgery to repair last October while playing with the Montreal Alouettes. “His foot is sore, “ Hufnagel said. “The X-Ray was negative, so he’s going to get an MRI . . . He’s hopeful.” . . . Rookie offensive lineman Shane Bergman (hip) missed Monday’s afternoon practice.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...predictable+injuries+begin/8473650/story.html

16. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Stamps notes: Lewis takes stock on his 31st birthday
    Players learning to deal with a little rain on their parade at camp so far
    Vicki Hall and Kristen Odland, Calgaryherald.com

Slotback Nik Lewis turned all philosophical on Monday, his 31st birthday.

“I guess when I was in college, the teacher asked how many people thought they would live to be 30,” said the Southern Arkansas University product. “And I think 80 per cent of the people didn’t think so.

“I guess when you’re young and dumb you just don’t think that far ahead. I’m very happy to be 31 and I’m enjoying it.”

The 10-year CFL veteran is enjoying it in spite of a training camp better suited to waterfowl.

“It’s hard,” he said of the conditions. “It’s hard in terms of getting warm and doing a lot of things, but we’ve still got a goal. The goal is still the same. Everybody else is not practising in this. They’re getting better.

“So you’ve got to find a way to get better yourself.”

Which is exactly the attitude head coach and general manager John Hufnagel was hoping for after the opening two days of 2013’s camp at McMahon Stadium.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...rs+notes+Lewis+takes+stock/8473656/story.html

17. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

June 4 - the Stamps have released import receiver Donavon Kemp.

18. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

LETTERS FROM CAMP WITH TIM HAWTHORNE
    from Stampeders.com

#78 Tim Hawthorne, Rec – June 3

It’s been wonderful. Ever since I got here it’s been family first.

Coach Huff (Hufnagel), coach Pete (Costanza) my receivers coach and coach Dave (Dickenson) are very well-respected men.

I admire how they run their system and everything they’ve done since I’ve been here.

A lot of information was thrown at us rookies. It’s one of those things where you make sure you study when you have down time – and go out there, compete and get better.

Not speaking just for myself, but we’ve all responded well to every new piece of information we get. It’s been good.

One event that was wonderful was Junior Stamps camp on Saturday (June 1 in Lethbridge, AB).

That’s the biggest joy that I feel like you can have as a football player; being able to utilize your God-given talent, not just on but off the field, in giving back to kids.

It was a great turnout, good weather, perfect weather for kids to go out and learn the drills that we do in our camp. I had a blast.

We got to sign autographs for the kids who look up to us and I can’t wait to do it again.

Read more: http://www.stampeders.com/article/letters-from-camp-with-tim-hawthorne

19. Flash

Flash Member

A new source of info. Scott Mitchell:

http://blogs.canoe.ca/theoutwriters/uncategorized/quick-hitters-day-3-of-training-camp/

Madman likes this.
  20. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

TRAINING CAMP DIARY FOR JUNE 4
    from Stampeders.com

Position battles are heating up

The sun finally came out – and stayed out – for both practices today.

Overall, the Stampeders roster had a lot of depth coming into training camp. One area where a good battle is brewing is among the defensive backs.

“It’s stiff competition,” head coach and general manager John Hufnagel says about the secondary. “The young players from last year are stepping up their game and the young players that we brought in for rookie camp this year are very athletic with lots of speed, so it’s going to be a battle.”

The offensive line is another area where there is a great deal of competition and the import/non-import ratio could be impacted. Both Spencer Wilson andDan Federkeil, who are Canadians, are vying for the left tackle position, which has a history of being held down by an import player. Hufnagel says it’s still too early to tell how it will all shake down.

In other news, TSN released their pre-season broadcast schedule today and neither of the two Calgary games will be shown. Be sure to get your ticketsto the June 14 game at home against the BC Lions. And tune into the voice of the Stampeders — Newstalk 770 Radio with Mark Stephen and Greg Peterson — when the Stamps travel to Saskatchewan on June 20.

Read more: http://stampeders.com/article/training-camp-diary-for-june-4