GAME DAY Calgary Stampeders vs BC Lions - June 28, 2013

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Preview: Emotions high as Stamps open up vs. Lions
    CFL.ca

Two of the league's premier tailbacks cap off a Friday Night Football double-header, as the Calgary Stampeders and BC Lions open their season at McMahon Stadium in a rematch of last year’s West Division Final.

For reasons other than football, the Stamps and their fans enter this season’s opener without any shortage of feelings or emotion in the aftermath of a flood crisis that displaced thousands of Calgarians. Yet as we’ve seen so often before in times of despair, sport has a way of only strengthening a city’s togetherness.

As badly as Stamps fans want to see a big win on home turf, players want to deliver.

“I'm ready to go out there and just give the stadium and the community something to be cheerful and happy about due to the flooding and everything with what's been going on,” Stampeders kick returner and receiver Larry Taylor told The Canadian Press.

“A lot of families are dealing with a lot of emotional things, being evacuated out of their places,” he continued. “Hopefully we can come out here and put on a good performance on Friday night and give the fans something to take their minds away from what they're dealing with personally.”

Canadian Red Cross representatives will be at the stadium on Friday night to collect donations for flood relief effort, meanwhile pre-game ceremonies will be held to recognize the work of volunteers and first-responders during the crisis.

Read more: http://www.cfl.ca/article/preview-emotions-high-as-lions-visit-stampeders

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

It's going to be a tough game tonight. We're going to need top notch QBing if we're going to have a chance to pull out another upset against BC (Yes I still think they're the clear cut team to beat out west).

On that note, here's a breakdown of our QB situation by Mr. Matt Dunigan.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Rod Black makes his 2013 debut with the classic line: "Welcome to Calgary where one of the Greatest Natural Disasters of the last 7 Days!"

5. Rids

Rids Member

Lots of empty seats there. What's the deal? Season opener vs potentially the best team in the league and they can't pack the house?

6. Rids

Rids Member

Opening drive TD. That's a big deal for Tate considering his training camp/pre-season.

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Great first drive - Tate threw the ball well and Cornish ran great.

8. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice fumble recovery and an outstanding catch by Joe West make it 14-0.

9. Rids

Rids Member

Little bit of a surprise hey. 31-6?

10. Rids

Rids Member

So Mikey gave a HUGE halftime speech apparently. 2 quick TDs and now to see what Calgary does in return.

11. Liske

Liske Member

I was at the game tonight.

Some observations:

- Disappointed with all the empty seats in the high corners. Only 26,000. It was a beautiful night.
    - 8:00 starts are murder for getting home. I can 'almost' forgive the lack of a sellout. It's no excuse, it should have been sold out. But I will never attend an 8:00 start again. Because of the pre-game ceremony and mayor speech, the game didn't actually start until about 8:20. I left with 2 minutes left and just got home now.
    - Tate played well; better than I thought. He was a leader tonight. I won't hold the pick against him.
    - Cornish was a monster again. Didn't skip a beat from last season.
    - Our receiving corps will be alright this season. Forzani can take his time recovering.
    - O-line seemed well oiled. Jones seemed comfortable at center. I don't think we had one O-line penalty. (?)
    - D-line didn't get much pocket pressure until garbage time. Lulay had enough time to build a house in the pocket on most plays. At least we managed to contain Lulay on most of his runs. When you watch Lulay in person, he is so quick on his feet and has such a knack for creating a bubble between himself and the linemen. He is a marvel to watch.
    - D-line did a good job against the run though. We had Harris's number all night.
    - Hefney and Hughes stood out the most on the Stamps defence from what I saw.
    - STs were pretty decent. Cover teams played well, and we had some good returns. Paredes was perfect again.

- BC seemed to just collapse for prolonged periods. They had a lot of technical mistakes that snowballed on them. They didn't get it together until the third quarter. But even then they couldn't sustain any momentum.

Madman and Bronko like this.
  12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Calgary is recovering from the flood. I'm sure there are more than a few thousand people who would have attended the game had they not been flooded out. And of course, the stadium itself. We used to have one of the nicest stadiums in Canada in the 90's & early 2000's. Now, it's just getting old. You see the new stadium in Winnipeg? No comparison. Hope any arena talk with the Flames include a new or renovated stadium.

13. Bronko

Bronko Member

Excellent post. Agree about Hughes, he's a monster. On the other hand Hefney is still a ???

Jonathan is great cutting off the run or snagging QBs or short pass receivers in the backfield. However, he's not powerful or big enough to go one on one vs. an o-lineman or blocking tight end off the edge. Has to take the extreme outside path and most QBs will get their passes off before Hef arrives. But lets hope the Stamp dbs do their job and the QB has to hang onto the ball a bit longer - then Hefney will get sacks.

Too bad he's not 2 or 3 inches taller, 15 to 20 lbs. heavier. He'd be one of the best in the league at OLB if that were true. Still a solid under 30 instinctual baller. Good worker, especially if he integrates well with teammates.

14. Rids

Rids Member

If that was true he'd be playing in that southern football league. (choices of smoking material notwithstanding....)

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I don't like the direction CFL defenses are taking where midgets play Sam. No wonder someone like Cornish can rip a team for 172 yards. Like the elimination of the tight end for the slot position, it all predicates around the pasing game. Not a fan of undersized dbs especially corners at the best of time but to put them in at Sam isn't making the game better.

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

I kinda agree but its the answer most defensive coaches have come around to having their traditional 6'1" or 6'2", 215 to 230 lb. OLB get continually defeated by undetected holding and outlandish speed of CFL halfbacks. A smallish DB who has tendencies to disregard his own personal safety for results APPEARS TO BE THE ANSWER. I'm sure one day not so far off one of these 'midgets' will get blown up real bad and the results will end in someone being hurt badly, even crippled. But thats the result of an army-like mentality, especially with the soldiers getting $90 to $200k.

17. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Rod Black took the red eye flight to st. mary's ontario to host the canadian baseball HOF induction ceremony for tim raines, george bell, rob ducey, nat bailey and tom cheek. clearly he is better suited for baseball as an announcer.

18. Christoph

Christoph Member

I was thrilled to see the way the Stampeders exploded out of the gates. I honestly didn't expect that to happen given Drew Tate's up and down pre-season and the fact that he was facing what is perennially when of the toughest defenses on QBs. The offensive line played a big role in that. They gave him solid protection all night and equally importantly opened some nice holes for the running game.

Once Cornish got rolling (which was pretty much from the word go) the Lions seemingly had no answer. Their defense was off balance and on it's heels all night and then Cornish rammed the ball down their throats to run out the clock and snuff out any hopes of a comeback. If Cornish plays and produces like this all season the record he set last year may not last long. If you'll recall it took him about 5 games before he started producing like this.

Same goes for Charleston Hughes. He was a monster in the second half last year and seems to be starting this season the way he left off a year ago.

Is anyone else excited about the new receiving tandem of Price and West?

19. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Three sacks. Great start. The Lions may not be as good as they thought. I can see why Wally got rid of Geroy with Nick Moore ready to step in. Hell, Simon's not even playing in Sask.

20. Christoph

Christoph Member

Geroy finally started to look like he was slowing down last year. I guess now we can begin debating in earnest where he ranks among the all-time greats at his position. ;)