GAME DAY Calgary Stampeders vs Edmonton Eskimos - October 10, 2015

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Oct 10, 2015.

?

Who will win in Calgary on Saturday night?

Poll closed Oct 10, 2015.
  1. Calgary Stampeders

100.0%
  2. Edmonton Edkimos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

gameday2015pink.png

cgy.png
    Calgary Stampeders (11-3)

edm.png
    Edmonton Eskimos (10-4)

PINKPOWER 2015
    Saturday October 10, 2015
    McMahon Stadium, Calgary
    5:00pm MDT

Television: TSN, ESPN3
    Radio: News Talk 770, SiriusXM

[​IMG] GET TICKETS
    [​IMG] Position Chart & Roster
    [​IMG] Game Notes

Stampeders Depth Chart

Wk16DepthChart.png

Eskimos Depth Chart

Wk16Opponent.png

Preview: Edmonton at Calgary wk.16

Round 3 of The Battle of Alberta takes place on Saturday in Calgary when the Stampeders and Eskimos play the rubber match for the season series and 1st place in the West.
    Wk16Preview.png

3 Things
    Here are 3 Things you should know about Saturday's game against the Eskimos.
    3Things.png

Game Preview

The Calgary Stampeders and Edmonton Eskimos square off in a good old-fashioned Western showdown for first place.

Calgary (11-3) clinched a home playoff game for the fourth straight season thanks to a 23-20 win over the Tiger-Cats at windy Tim Hortons Field. The Eskimos (10-4) kept pace, eking out a 24-23 win road win over the Bombers and also clinching a playoff spot in the West for the second straight year. The teams split the previous two meetings this season, with Calgary winning at home on Labour Day by a 16-7 total and the Eskimos evening the score at Commonwealth with a 27-16 win in the rematch.

The Eskimos snapped a 12-game losing streak to Calgary with that win and are looking for consecutive wins over Calgary for the first time since 2011. The winner of this game clinches the season series and possesses the ever-important tie-breaker should the teams end up tied at season’s end.

Calgary is the only unbeaten CFL team at home at 7-0 and also leads the division at 6-1 against Western teams while Edmonton is 4-3 on the road and 5-2 against the West.
    http://stampeders.com/article/big-battle-on-saturday

Preview: Esks, Stamps set for first place showdown

It’s the matchup we’ve all been waiting for.

The Battle of Alberta, the third and final rendition kicks off on Saturday as the CFL’s top two teams cut to the chase for the West Division crown.

The words no longer matter and apparently neither do the X’s and O’s, at least if you ask Esks linebacker Odell Willis. Willis knows a thing or two about heart and that’s what he says this Thanksgiving Weekend matchup will come down to.

“I don’t even have to put it into words, you all know how big of a game it is,” Willis told Esks.com. “First place in the West, two great teams, two good organizations – what else would you want to watch on Saturday?

“Whichever team wants it the most, that’s the team that’s going to win,” he added. “It’s not going to be about X’s and O’s, it’s going to be about heart.”

So pardon the old cliché, but who wants this pivotal Week 16 matchup more? It may really be the biggest difference in the outcome.

These aren’t just the two best teams in the standings, the Stampeders with a league-best 11-3 record and the Eskimos just one game behind, but they’re the best on paper, too, and hardly anything separates them.

The Eskimos rank one number one on defence, the Stampeders number two. The Stamps are fourth overall on offence with the Esks sitting one spot below at fifth. Bo Levi Mitchell and Mike Reilly are two of the most energetic and exciting quarterbacks in the league, and their supporting casts are star-studded.
    http://cfl.ca/article/preview-esks-stamps-set-for-first-place-showdown

2. strujas

strujas Member

LETS GO STAMPEDERS!!!

3. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Time for the team to perform from the start. Another slow start would not be good.
    Special teams coverage and stopping the long bombs will go a long way to a win.
    LETS GO STAMPS !!!!

4. Mathgod

Mathgod Member

The Stamps' drives stall much more often than they should and it's largely because Bo would rather force balls into double coverage 30 yards down the field than hit the wide open option for 5 yards or run for the first down yardage. Obviously it's different if it's 2nd and long where a longer throw is needed, but there's no excuse for forcing the ball downfield when it's 1st down or 2nd and short.

It's the painful truth, like it or not, and if Bo doesn't get his game sorted out before the playoffs arrive it's going to be a quick one-and-out for the Stamps. I'm tired of hearing "It's because of the Oline!" or "he's only 22 years old!" or "he was the GC MVP last year!" because at the end of the day none of those excuses are going to change the final outcome. Bo needs to see the field better and make better decisions or else it's curtains for this team.

5. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

There was no ugly win tonight. Just plain brutal effort with exception of the D.
    As a fan for a long time I just ask this one question. When was the last time a Stamps team played so poorly to start games?
    The first half was just awful. When was the last time this team has played so terrible in two out of the three phases of the game?
    Effort and execution was not good enough.

#5 Bumpnrun, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  6. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I agree BLM is forcing the issue at times, however outside of McDaniel and Cornish in the game last night the offense was very predictable and lacked tempo and execution. For a third straight game DD was out schemed and out played by Jone's defense. I think the curtain will fall on this team if they don't figure out a way to score some points earlier in the game.

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

wow. i was honestly shocked last night. edmonton doesn't have a tough schedule to finish the year so they may yet host the west final for the first time in 12 years.

stamps living by the sword the last few games, they died a bit by it this time.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

Not surprised Hervey and Tennessee Corky have been able to finagle two wins over the stamps dynasty. Reilly runs the highest-paced offense in the league. Corky Jones has his troops more prepared than any team on a consistent basis.
    If Edmonton wins out (they'll have to match Calgary's record in final 3 games to do such) then Stamps have to play Winnipeg, BC or Montreal.

That's a tossed salad if there ever was one - Als prolly the slight favourites to nab the crossover unless Wpg. can run the table in their final 3 games - 2 wins won't be enough - even 3 might not be but 8-10 in west means als would have to end 9-9 to nab the spot.

Wpg vs. Cal would be a slobber-nocker. Obviously stamps have superior personnel, depth and coaching but bombers are coming on strong and running the table could cut the differential. O'Shea and Bellefeel are learning to operate their offense with a feeble o-line (they just don't have enough power or strength) and Wpg defense, despite obvious holes is well-coached and relatively well-disciplined. Stamps could be in for a struggle if Winnipeg gets to the playoffs.

I would expect the stamps to have less trouble with either BC or Montreal but a ton of these thoughts are based on Winnipeg sniping BC last nite.

9. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Edmonton should win the next three. Calgary had their chance last night to solidify the West final and did not accomplish the task at hand. Eskimos D too much for BLM and the offense.
    Unless the Stamps find another gear and step up their game they will be hard pressed to make it to the big game come November.
    Overall with the victory by the Eskimos and the Bombers makes the races in the West very interesting to watch. Very compelling.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

both teams could finish tied at 14-4. never seen a second place team with 14 wins as far as I can remember.

11. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I have been watching the games and really what happened to Fuller in the offense or even Rogers? West is just not getting the job done as well still has no idea where the 10 yard mark is? Our receivers other than McDaniel have been absent? Could it be Dave's play calling has hit the wall or is our receivers under performing. I am calling them out.

12. strujas

strujas Member

Times like these is when I miss big #82...

13. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Yup they do miss him. Right now it is only Mc Daniel our other slot disappears.

14. Mathgod

Mathgod Member

15. strujas

strujas Member

Cornish should jump up and down next time to try and get Bo's attention....

16. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

It's official. Argos game Saturday has moved to Hamilton regardless of tomorrow's jays result.

17. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Tough game ahead against the Argo's. Could it be that Calgary's streak of not losing 2 in a row come to the end?
    If the Stamps start another game sluggish out of the gate I think they will be hard pressed with a win.
    You know right now I miss Sinopoli as well as Lewis. Although it is rarely mentioned, having Simon CC out it has effected are receiving corps as well. Hopefully the Stamps had an off game the other night. Another clunker in TO, I would beg to say that they can forget about taking first in the West. Maybe even a rematch with the Eskies in November.
    I think DD and the Stamps offense is limited due to the fact that the OLINE is not that good for the Stamps. As well, I don't think BLM is a threat out of the pocket running the ball, therefore teams are only pressuring with 3 or sometimes 4 D lineman, leaving 8 or 9 guys in coverage. It seems at time this season the play calling has been a little predictable and BLM is forcing things instead of taking what the defense gives him.
    On a consistent basis this year only our front 4 Dline, Mayo, Simpson, Parades, and McDaniel have performed game in and game out. Rodgers and Raymond have been good as well. As for the rest of the team , they better pick it up or it is going to be a short playoff run. What I worry about is how the Stamps secondary will hold up with both the starting corners out. To begin with they already give up way too many deep, long bomb touchdowns.

Tundra Mustang likes this.
  18. strujas

strujas Member

Drop West outta the lineup and put Wilson back in!