Calvillo for MOP

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

What makes 13 so dangerous is RESPECT. Teams know that this guy will be watching almost every aspect of their defensive coverage. THey know if they blitz heavy and go cover zero that AC will find his uncovered man for big yards.

The other aspect is that for the most part (CFL klutzyiness aside) the Als offensive execution is superlative. Very few mistakes, limited offsides, limited holds and limited turnovers.

It all contributes to the kind of season the Tex Mex is having.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Not ready to annoint AC just yet. Still half a season & lots of football to go. As well as playoffs & the Grey Cup even though the CFL MOP is only based on regular season play. I think Travis Lulay is having an equally outstanding season & that was illustrated in that last CLUTCH drive he put together in Winnipeg last Friday. Don't really see a receiver having an outstanding year nor a running back so no dominant players coming from those positions. I think it'll come down to AC & Lulay for CFL MOP.
    As far as Calvillo losing his step father & playing right away he has my deep condolences. However, I think being part of a football team is like being part of a huge family. AC's right where he wants to be. Surrounded by teammates & coaches who care for him like he was their brother. That is what makes a team & that is what probably giving him comfort right now during his time of loss. And being with his teammates as well as preparing & playing football probably takes his mind off of things. I bet it is the same for Eagles head coach Andy Reid dealing with the loss of his son. The guys are there for him.
    Just my thoughts based on what I know from being around the game.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

AC is a pro, plain and simple. He's also paid at NFL levels (NFL minimum mind you, which is $390,000, AC probably gets somewhere between $400k and $460k for his services....so he's probably making more than at least 300 to 350 NFL players . . . . of course same can be said for Henry Burris and Ricky Ray . . . Wally will have to step up and pay Lulay likewise, starting next year.....unless Lulay wants to take his shot at the NFL (he's about the only CFL QB who'd have a decent shot at NFL #2 spot right now)

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

My beef is with those that aren't even interested in the guy in Montreal . We're likely only going to get another 22,000 friday night. Any other city would be selling out to see him. Toronto would have maybe 25,000.

6. Rids

Rids Member

Lulay will need a big second half to earn MOP honors.

Using their current pace here's where the Top 5 will end up.

Calvillo - 5978.3 yards with 40.5 TDs and 13.5 INTs
    Burris - 5526.0 yards with 42.8 TDs and 11.3 INTs
    Ray - 5229.0 yards with 22.5 TDs and 20.3 INTs
    Durant - 4756.5 yards with 18.0 TDs and 18.0 INTs
    Lulay - 4754.3 yards with 27.0 TDs and 15.8 INTs

Knowing Trestman if Calvillo is 22 yards short of 6000 in the 4th quarter of game 18 I expect the Als to be throwing 20 yard plays to finish that game and get him over the mark.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

22,000 is almost an unmitigated disaster in Montreal. However, AC is a sureshot hall of famer, he doesn't create a ton of on-field excitement (a la Doug Flutie, Johnny White Shoes, Johny Rodgers, etc.) He's workmanlike, no controversy, just an efficient tex-mex going about his job. But having a great facility at 83% full is a bad sign. What happens when AC is gone and either Adriano McPherson or somesuch has the reins. Or they hire Paul 'My Mistake' Lapolice to coach?

Can you count to 17,000 deuvy?

8. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

First step is to reward your season ticket holders with a price decrease in the 15% range like our MLS team is already doing. Also a price decrease all around. When supply exceeds demand it's the logical step. I don't think we'll go lower than 21,000. We have a solid core and with Trestman and Popp at the helm we'll always have a competitive team. We just need to build a new fan base over the next 4 years.

and I can count just fine thank you. one,two,four,seven,ten,zero :D

9. Rids

Rids Member

I would go a different route than what the Impact are doing. Reward the long time season ticket holders first. 5+ year ticket holder gets 5% off, 10+ year ticket holder gets 10% off, 15+ year ticket holder gets 15%. Then give them all a bonus ticket for the pre-season game or a bonus ticket if they buy playoff tickets at the Big O. Reward the supporters with things because they are already fans, their spirit is more likely to create more fans than just football fans that see a good deal.

10. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

even better idea.

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

Great ideas all.

But deuvy - when AC hangs 'em up would you prefer he be kept around as OC or just leave the organization full send....

Personally, I think AC could move into the head coaching job (in Montreal for now) and not miss a step (although he'd have almost as many blipfartz as Lapolice, Marshall, Daley, Barf Andrus, etc.)

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

yeah Boo-Boo I agree AC could be OC or QB coach in the future. He'll stay in montreal likely forever.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

To be honest I've been somewhat disappointed with Lulay this year. It's not merely that the numbers he's putting up are fairly underwhelming (He already trails Calvillo by 6 TD tosses and about 500 yards and has turned the ball over more than the wily vet... at that rate he could be trailing by as much as a dozen TDs and 1000 yards by season's end), he just doesn't seem to have regained the moxie he had while the Lions were on that epic run last year that turned their season around and culminated with a championship. On the bright side he seems to have found the accuracy he's lacked in his career until this point and actually leads Calvillo in that department! (67.3% vs. 64%)

Although in the interests of full disclosure I didn't think Lulay should have won the MOP last year either. I fully respect and admire what he accomplished, but Jamel Richardson was by far and away the most dominant player at his respective position. Lulay wasn't even the clear cut best QB. In fact I thought Calvillo had him by a nose. The guy just never seemed to turn the ball over and still put up league best numbers in most passing categories. The only blemish was that at 61.8%, his completion percentage was well off of what we've come to expect from a player who perennially seems to push 70%. Still, it was superior to Lulay's rather pedestrian 58.7 completion %. Lulay may have been the best QB in the league while he and his team were on their dominant run, but when you factor in his slow start, for the balance of the entire season I would still argue that Calvillo was better.

By a nose.

Don't worry though Travis, with 10 games remaining, you have plenty of time to make up ground on the living legend this season...

Or work on growing that nose Pinocchio style. ;)

If it sounds like I'm being critical of Lulay, that isn't my intention. In fact I'd take him over any QB in the league due to the combined factors of his age, current level of play, and potential for further improvement. I merely think that in the here and now, Calvillo is still king. Sure he's not as dominant as he was a few years ago but he remains an incredibly efficient machine. Hopefully MOP voters haven't begun to take that for granted.

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

I preedikt AC will school LulaHoops this weekend -

But Travis will get him in the Big one!

15. Christoph

Christoph Member

Burris seems to be the forgotten man in this discussion doesn't he? Part of that may be that his level of play hasn't quite matched his numbers. While other QBs generally have to work their way downfield and "earn" their touchdowns the hard way, Hank has on numerous occasions been fortunate enough to throw short to medium passes that turned into touchdowns 50+ yards later thanks to the superhuman speed after the catch of guys like Chris Williams and Chevon Walker. Nobody else has the benefit of throwing to big play threats that even compare with those two weapons of mass frustration (for opposing fans, players, and coaches that is. ;) )

16. Bronko

Bronko Member

Forgot about 'ol Stank. Classic line of the week

WMFs - Weapons of Mass Frustrations.....

Williams and Walker sure live up to that monicker. Turning shorties into wire-to-wires, thats priceless!!!!

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Hank was MVP in July. Like the Riders this year were Grey Cup champs. But, like the Riders... Hank just can't win in November. Ti Cat fans are now seeing what we put up with for 6 out of 7 seasons.

18. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree with the decision more so than in 2004 when Casey Printers won it. Yes Richardson was dominant but the only non-QBs to win MOP in the last 15 years were Mike Pringle who had over 2000 rushing yards and Milt Stegall who had over 2000 receiving yards. Calvillo just had too impressive a season as well in spite of having had surgery on his cancerous thyroid. Also he was the one feeding the passes to Jamel. Lulay was slow off the gate but recovered nicely and I'm pretty sure that that 43-1 trashing at BC place cinched the deal. If the Als had lost by a closer margin AC would have probably won.

19. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Close to 3,000 yards at the halfway point. Another record falls as AC gets 8 straight 300 yard games. He's just amazing.

20. Rids

Rids Member

Calvillo is a phenom. Can't argue with his career work and really can't argue with his season so far. So glad I got to meet him last year in Calgary briefly. Quality individual, first ballot Hall of Famer and an ambassador for the CFL.