Canada West Basketball

Discussion in 'More Sports' started by Rids, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

So in 2014 CanWest is changing their divisions to be the 11 old schools in one division and the 6 new schools in the other. Just ridiculous. When you bump schools up from the CCAA level to the CIS level you can't just group them together in the corner. They have to be fully emersed into the next level. Then having a lopsided and weighted system to determine who makes the playoffs it's just beyond stupid. Why admit them then? Or force them to create their own conference but this garbage is stupid.

http://canadawesthoops.com/in-with-the-old-and-out-with-the-new/

2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

What is the reason for that?

3. Rids

Rids Member

It's the old guard standing up and saying they don't believe the new additions are peers.

While other CIS schools complain about travel, Canada West has taken the two Calgary schools and put them in opposite divisions. Basically creating more travel just to prove the point that the older schools are better.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, when it comes to just about everything that will be the comparison in Calgary. The U of C will always be looked upon as the superior university. When I grew up in Winnipeg, the University of Winnipeg was always thought of as an inferior university back in the 70's with just 5,000 students & no professional faculties like engineering, law or medicine. Someeven thought of it back then as a glorified high school. They never had a CIS football team & it wasn't until they began to compete & defeat Manitoba in hockey, basketball & volleyball did the school get any respect. The new schools will have to go through what the U of W did when it changed from Wesley College to gain respect. It has to be earned & not given.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Sure it has to be earned but this is just a ridiculous ploy to set things up. I mean honestly they'd rather have a division schedule that stretches from Victoria to Winnipeg in one division while the other division stretches from Calgary to Prince George.

Where I really take exception is to the handicapped playoffs. So even if the best team in the "new school" division is the best team in the conference they'll still be seeded no better than 3rd for the playoffs. So a #1 team in the country's Top 15 poll could be a #3 seed in their own conference playoff? That's a joke. Makes CanWest look like bunch of in-fighting idiots.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I dunno. The CIS is just a goofy organization. Former NHL ers like Mike Danton can play... Players that sign pro contracts in the CFL if cut can go back & play... Kids have 7 yrs to complete their eligibility in football. I mean, it's all over the place.