Canadian Relief For Moore Tornado Victims Denied At Border

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Stamps Rule, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Tags:
  2. Flash

Flash Member

Probably headed for the border thinking they could just waltz on through. Should've gone through the proper means of some sort.

Sure it's petty when the customs agent finds out the reason and still holds it up when honestly they should be contacting a superior that will make a call up the line of command. But the guy at the front line probably made the right call at the beginning. You can't just let any old truck through the border just because the driver claims it's humanitarian relief. There has to be a moment of proof that shows what that the pallets at the front of the trailer are carrying food or blankets and not something more sinister.

The phrase "You can't trust anyone" comes to mind.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Especially in today's day & age.

4. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

They denied the loads because the product wasn't in alphabetical order, not because there was a nuke buried in a package of diapers somewhere.

The trucks were scanned at the port of entry for particularly harmful stuff. The border guard probably has a better idea of what's inside of that truck then the driver.

This is just another example of big government (and big government rules) strangling good intentions.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, what would you have the US do? They have to be strict or devices of mass destruction could indeed be shipped in. They have to be dilligent. Besides, WTF are we shipping relief to OKC for? It was a tornado... You can't tell me American authorities couldn't have handled this alone. It was one truck. Tell me that the same truck with the same supplies couldn't have been driven in from Tulsa. There was no need for Canadian aid. We have people in our country that could use what was in that truck. As sad as what happened, this was no earthquake or hurricane. And I don't recall the Americans putting a call out for help internationally. Let's help ourselves first.

6. Rids

Rids Member

When we moved across the border we had to have a detailed packing list of our personal items. All 210 boxes and items had to be clearly IDed and marked on the list as to their contents as well as placed in a organizational category. It was well within their rights at the customs house (and we were warned that it could happen) for them to ask for a specific box and we would have to present it for inspection.

After working airport security pre-9/11 and seeing what people were trying to get onto planes back (even at a Canadian airport) then I'm ok with a customs agent doubling checking the paperwork when they can't see the back wall of a large truck loaded to capacity.

7. Flash

Flash Member

If it was merely a list that wasn't in order then it could've been scanned and redone in a matter of minutes. I would imagine it was a truck with a packing list that looked like this:

Prepared in a hurry after they discovered they were overweight the first time they packed the truck. I would suspect that had they done up an initial packing list with the destination (especially the church in OKC that it was heading to), better estimates of fresh and packaged foods and a total dollar value that they would've gotten clearance. Failing that they should've immediately contacted a government official to clear the way. Keep in mind that this was a transfer of goods between two organizations and not from 1 individual to another. Just think what you have to declare when you mail a package to the US.