Carolina lands Alex Semin too!

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Christoph, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Carolina has landed the most skilled player remaining in free agency, Alexander Semin. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=638704

Okay so that's not quite as big as landing Jordan Staal, who could really take his game to a new level with a much deserved top six role (if he can stay healthy). But at 1 year and a cool $7mil, it's not a major risk.

Sure it's a big cap hit, but they have the cap space and if it doesn't pan out, he's out the door.

Plus, Semin will have motivation to play well since he'll be playing all year for a contract.

Then again that didn't work out so well this past season when he was in the same boat and had probably the worst season of his career.

I'm sure Carolina hopes he's raring to stick it to his old team, Carolina's division rival, the Washington Capitals.

It's amazing how long it took for a player of Semin's skill level to find a new home (I guess that's an indictment of just how questionable a reputation he has in NHL circles) but I have to say, Carolina didn't even enter my mind as a possible landing spot for Semin.

Tags: