CFL Coaches - Safe or Sorry?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Just thinking about the usual pre-season crap. Like which CFL coaches are safest and which are vulnerable to early replacement (by mid-season)..... overall 2012 looks like a safe season for CFL coaches, mostly cuz the bulk of them are fairly fresh faces. When Plop is the guy with most head coaching seniority you know there's a new crop of boys in town!!!

From West to East....

1. Mike Benevides - VERY SAFE, chances of replacement about 1 in 10, they'll have to come out of the gate at least 1-7 or worse and then its even money whether Wally pulls the pin.

2. Kavis Reed - SOMEWHAT SAFE, his safety valve, QB Ricky Ray has been removed and now Kavis has to fly with fairly unproven guys. He's safe as long as he flounders no worse than 2 games under .500. If Esks miss playoffs, kiss 'em goodbye!

3. Huffer - NOBODY SAFER, the top non-owner guy in Cowtown. Don't see this squad dipping below 8-10, probably a 9-9 or 10-8 team again. As long as there's 30,000+ and good football, the job is Huffers to keep or ditch.

4. PLOP - FOR THIS YEAR HE'S 99.8% SAFE - even if Mr. Kleen goes 2-16 (doubtful) the bomber's tall foreheads will want to keep him for the inauaguaral season in the new place. He's great in the commuity, tremendous with media, the most honest coach the bombers have had since Glacier Grant, his only weakness is that he's been exposed as an offensive gameplan fraud. Bad year to keep Plop around if the team goes pukeville - cuz we've got Tim Burke and The Crow (Gary Crowton) in the bullpen.

5. Hammy - safe unless he decides to pull his own ripchord.

6. Toronto - new guy in town. Great record with prior team as OC. If anyone gets expunged its Fatboy Slim.....Jim Barker.

7. Treacherous Marc Andre Trestman - best overall coach in the CFL. Only guy with NFL potential but the clock is ticking. If Montreal flounders badly and the wheels fall off AC, Marc will play it out but make alternative arrangements in the off-season.

8. Ooops, forgot Corey Chamblin - new boy in town - team needs to hover no worse than 1 or 2 games under .500 for Chamblin to keep hope alive. However, if they go on a prolonged losing streak they'll put some major heat on Corey C. - however, don't think Taman is in position to pull the pin on a newbie coach who shows so much promise.

Summation - if anyone gets the side-angle kick to the head it will be Kavis Reed or Jim Barker (a GM)

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

If the Esks get off to a bad start & that is totally possible without Ricky Ray, Kavis Reid will be the first to go & you just know that it won't be Tillman's fault.

3. pizmo

pizmo Member

Could be quite true. What's the odds that your backup and starting QB's are in reverse order by Labour Day?

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Al, what are your thoughts on your old friend, Barker in Toronto. I guess if things start to rot in TO, he'll survive the season as Braley doesn't want to replace a veteran GM, especially when it won't make one iota of difference in the gate!!!
    Jim has given Milanovich the best qb in the CFL that he could possibly get. Jim never as a head coach had a qb like Ricky Ray to work with so I'd think that Milanovich will do well. Not much more a GM like Barker can do for his head coach..

5. Rids

Rids Member

I would say that Trestman is safe from the team point of view. If he's coaching somewhere else next year it'll be because he called the shot and not Popp.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Could happen. I won't say no but overall I think Tate can handle it. In Edmonton, I would have zero confidence in Joseph if Gyles can't get it done. He is a horrible quarterback.

7. Rids

Rids Member

If things continue on the current path it won't be a Jyles vs Joseph debate it'll be Nichols taking the snaps perhaps with Summers as the backup.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nice. Some rooks getting some playing time. I just don't get how a qb like Kerry Joseph gets so many chances. He's the 2010's version of Michael Bishop from the first decade of this century & the nineties version of Reggie Slack. All 3 guys got way too many chances.

9. Rids

Rids Member

Nichols was a 4 year starter at EWU and has been with the Eskies since October 2010.

Kerry Joseph gets chances because he's a pro. The guy stays in great shape, has played at the pro level on both sides of the ball and will eventually walk out of his cleats and into an office as a QB Coach. Absolutely ideal guy to have on the roster right now in Edmonton as the 3rd string, very much like Kevin Glenn being in Calgary.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Like Rids says, Joesph walks like a QB, talks like a QB, has one of the Top 3 power=arms in the league, keeps in great condition and can still out-hoof the odd linebacker to turn a sack into a first down. However, his basic limitation is his mental strength - he's just not very good at conducting a gameplan, sticking to script and his innovative peak was 5 or 6 years ago when he was a Bishop-like wild man. Jyles is a slightly younger version of Joseph. (Jyles 30 or 31, Joseph 39 or 40)

I'd say that big veteran heaver from BC would look good in Tilmonite right now or else TilNoMad is gonna be praying Joe Mack releases one of Joe Eliot, Al Brink or Justin Goltz.

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure how you square that perception of Joseph's mental accuity with Rids' opinion that one day he'll hang up his cleats and walk into some club's office as a QB coach...

TM

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

We've all seen Kerry Jo's wares over a lengthy CFL career. Spotty, at best!

However, he did win a Grey Cup, vs. the Blue Bombers when Kevin Glenn got broken by Kevin Eiben in the Eastern finals and Kerry had to go up against the colossal force known as Ryan Dinwiddie.

If Doug Berry had the mental acuity to put Dinwiddie on a short throwing leash then Kerry wouldn't even have that ring . . . . he was basically lost against the Winnipeg defense but somehow figured out that guys like Dynamic Doug Brown were slowing than mud and decided to outrun the Wpg defense on almost every play.

Invididual skills - Kerry Jo rates fairly high
    Gameplan conduction - extremely low

Doesn't mean he's stupid. Just can't run or stick to organized gameplans.

13. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Then how in the world can he coach?

TM

14. Bronko

Bronko Member

On the contrary, m'lord I think KJ will be a decent QB coach in either CFL, CIS or Div 2 or 3 american college ball. There's another CFL ex-QB (who by chance also whipped an over-confident Wpg. squad for your Stampeders) who is now in line to be a head coach. He was much like Joseph talent-wise but could stick to a gameplan, albeit his stats were paltry at best. Lots of great teachers can teach like a house on fire - just can't do!

15. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry, Bronks, you're still pitchin' but I'm still not buyin'.

Performing is one thing.

But we're not dealing with physical talent, here.

Crandell was not the most physically gifted QB to ever grace the Canadian gridiron, but his understanding of the game, and his ability to implement an "organized gameplan" is precisely what delivered a Grey Cup to the Stampeders in 2001, and it is those very traits (which you allege KJ lacks) which have allowed him to embark upon a potentially successful coaching career.

Crandell's gifts constitute the opposite of what you've contended are Joseph's limitations, because when you allege KJ can't stick to, or run, an "organized gameplan", you've moved into the territory of "he can't coach, either", since he certainly can't impart his physical talents, such his ability to run, or throw a 50 yard bomb, to a young QB under his tutelage, can he?

So what's left for him to teach?

I think Joseph has more ability to understand and implement than you think he does.

TM

16. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I just don't think KJ is as skilled as some make him out to be. Yeah, he can run, he can throw but I have never seen him play well on a team that wasn't overly talented. When he won a GC for the Riders there was a lot of talent surrounding him. When he played for Ottawa he never elevated that team to be better than it was. In Toronto, he pouted a lot & didn't do anything to help that team win. In the GC game, he was confused by the Bombers stunts, twists & blitzes. He had that deer in the headlight look as the Bombers D was getting to him. if the Bombers had any kind of quarterbacking back in 2007, they'd have won a Grey Cup. Ryan Dinwiddie was horrific. Worse than KJ & that is saying something as KJ is a brutal qb.

17. Bronko

Bronko Member

KJ should never have been given a starting job as QB in the CFL. Remember at 6'2" and 225 lbs. he'd been a serviceable DB in the NFL. His training seemed more consistent with being an NFL DB or CFL OLB - however, some genius saw him as the second coming of Warren Moon (which he certainly ain't)
    btw - I wouldn't place all the blame on Ryan Dinwiddie Al for the Bombers losing the Grey Cup. Doug Berry, that 3 eared and two-foreheaded intellectual colossus did two things totally wrong in the Grey Cup. He let Dinwiddie work without a leash (it was Dinwiddie's first professional start) and Berry also refused to put a swift DB or linebacker spy on Joseph (the riders only real running threat).
    By half-time guys like Bubba were totally gassed chasing Kerry Jo across hell's half acre!

18. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nate, just shows the value of a veteran backup. Dinwiddie should have been the #3 qb, not number 2. Glad that Glenn is here to help Drew Tate if he struggles.

19. Bronko

Bronko Member

The decision to have Dinwiddie as our only backup pivot was shared idiocy between Taman, Lord Lyle, Berry & Kitchen Cartwright (Berry's OC genius).....

Kevin Glenn probably still feels he's a better QB than Drew T. but thats just Kevin being Kevin - he's not very good, but he can be streaky and he's chock full of experience. For a short man (5'8 to 5'9") he's got a mini-cannon for an arm. Not particularly good into a strong wind though. He'll also sit in the pocket waiting to be drilled, way too often. Hopefully, Tait will take the majority of your reps but its nice to know there's an experienced boy in the bullpen.

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think that was a backhanded yet complimentary comment about Glenn. About as good as it gets, eh Nate? ;)