CFL Draft: Biggest Needs For Stampeders

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Calgary Stampeders

Calgary is loaded with one of the most talented teams in the CFL. With skill and depth at nearly every position, they can afford to think long-term at the draft. Their biggest needs might be on the defensive line, where they can afford to upgrade. The Stampeders could use a pass rushing end that can get after opposing quarterbacks and disrupt their passing game.

They could also look at cornerback. Someone like Robert Woodson has been linked to the Stampeders. He could fit in well as a free safety.

The Stamps are in good shape as they have both the seventh and eight overall picks in the first round.

https://www.getmoresports.com/cfl-draft-biggest-needs-west-division-teams/

Tags:
  2. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Mock 2.0

ROUND 1

CALGARY
    NATE BEHAR
    WR | CARLETON

While it’s tempting to save Behar for one more pick and keep the Carleton Ravens star in Ottawa with the REDBLACKS, whom he has assisted equipment managers with over the last two summers, I think Behar is the right type of player for Dave Dickenson and the Calgary Stampeders.

Behar challenged 2015 Stamps draft pick Lemar Durant’s bench record for receivers at the 2017 CFL combine and was sure to impress in interviews with his IQ and conversationalist nature. The guy just loves football.

ROUND 2

CALGARY
    ANTONY AUCLAIR
    TE | LAVAL

Dave Dickenson is a dreamer. He loves to be creative and find new ways to approach the game on offence. If the Stampeders take Auclair this high, they might never see him due to NFL opportunities. However, their recent history of reaching for a possible offensive star in Yale running back Tyler Varga seems to suggest Auclair might be in their wheel house.

IF Auclair did come to the CFL and IF he were to become a regular part of the offence, the possibilities would be endless for Bo Levi Mitchell.

ROUND 3

FABIAN FOOTE
    DL| MCMASTER

Before the CFL combine, Foote told me he believed he had some special numbers in store for evaluators. He wasn’t lying.

He tested well and showed good variety in one-on-ones. Foote could land on a defensive line alongside a similar OUA graduate defensive tackle in Derek Wiggan, who was taken 34th overall by Calgary in 2014.

ROUND 4

CONNOR McGOUGH
    DL | CALGARY

I have a feeling McGough could go much earlier than the 34th overall pick but he could slip due to his comparatively small stature. That won’t matter once he starts making plays at a CFL training camp though and anyone who gets him will have acquired a uniquely CFL style player.

Of the four draft eligible Dinos defensive lineman in the 2017 CFL draft, McGough is the one whose skill set and on field demeanour scream “top three rounds.” My comparable for him is a player with similar edge who snuck onto the Argos roster and I thought made an exceptional yet understated impact last year, 2015 21st overall pick Cam Walker from the University of Guelph.

ROUND 5

HARLAND HASTINGS
    DB | ACADIA

Whether it’s back flips on YouTube while catching footballs or explosive lower body tests in person, Harland Hastings is impressive. The Calgary native could be going home dependent on quality of interview during the CFL combine.

ROUND 6

ADAM LAURENSSE
    DB | CALGARY

I have no idea if Laurensse is physical enough to battle on special teams, or develop into a tangible defensive player, but he was outstanding at the CFL Combine and as the pleasant surprise of the combine he deserves a chance.

Link

Tundra Mustang likes this.