CFL Draft Prospect - Charles

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

2. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

Rids.... If more CIS players get interest from the NFL, do you think it could lead to more CIS players on each team in the CFL? ..... Not just CIS, but numbers of non-import players per team?

3. Rids

Rids Member

To be honest I don't. I think it may lead to more teams dedicating a staff member to tracking CIS players but don't think it'll change the ratio.

The problem for the Canadian player is depth late in the year. When an injury hits a non-import in June/July a team can find a replacement that is in game shape from the draft list. Once you hit mid-August though the players that weren't drafted have returned to their CIS home to play another season and the pool of players takes a major hit. Players that have aged out of the CIS may still be in shape but most are nearly a full year removed from playing in pads. The ones that have played since then did so in a senior mens league that isn't at the speed of the CFL. The ones that want to take another run at the CFL are in training mode with expectations of a tryout in April not jumping on a roster in October/November.

I believe the pool of non-import players is more than adequate in the spring and summer and can support a league with more teams than the current 8, but can see the viewpoint of the GMs when they complain about the lack of depth late in the season because the players simply move on. Now if we had an indoor league as a development tool I could see the ratio maybe changing but that's a long way down the road.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Bombers have been totally terrified by some guys NFL potential.

That, and the fact many players are also terrified of being drafted by Winnipeg.

5. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

Wonder if the Saints will give him a look.

6. Rids

Rids Member

Stefan Charles is heading to Dallas and the NFL Regional Combine there.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Indoor league is a good idea. Hearing GMs bitch is tiresome because they create a lot of the problems themselves. The CIS is the worst problem letting guys come back & play fter they were drafted, graduated & attended CFL camps. CIS men & women's hockey is considered a joke because former pro players who washed out can go back & play against 18 year old kids. Even former murderers can play. The CIS is so hypocritical worrying about eligibility & yet let guys with NHL experience play. Guys like Plesius sure used that to their advantage.

8. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

I have heard comments ,that it is good that the players can return to their CIS team for further development...... With the experience that they gained with the CFL team.
    ... Indoor league would probably help but that won't happen for a long time I would think.

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

If players have attended training camps after they were drafted it means they signed a pro contract. Why should they be allowed to go back?

10. Rids

Rids Member

Stefan Charles has drawn the interest of another NFL team. Houston apparently added to the list.

So far Seattle and Indy are the teams that he has visited twice.

11. Rids

Rids Member