CFL Epansion to 12

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Iddahocoyle, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Iddahocoyle

Iddahocoyle Member

It is time for the CFL to look at expansion to 12. Yes 12. Currently the West has five teams and the East has four teams. The West consists of B.C. (British Columbia) Lions, Calgary Stampeders, Edmonton Eskimos, Saskatchewan Rough Riders and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The East consist of Hamilton Tiger-Cats, Montreal Alouettes, Ottawa RedBlacks, and Toronto Argonauts. To make this work, the CFL will need to put 2 teams in the East. I propose the Halifax and Quebec City would be the cities for expansion. In the West, I propose that the Okanogan Valley In British Columbia would be better than Saskatoon.

I have choose Okanogan Valley because of its proximity to the western teams and it could draw fans from Northern Idaho and Central and Eastern Washington in the U.S.. I fell that Fort McMurray is not readly for an expansion teams due to facilities and location. The Eastern expansion is obvious because the CFL has looked into these regions for expansion.

I believe if more U.S. border states get more exposure to the CFL and the CFL plays some of the preseason games in U.S. cities to inform the CFL game to Americans. I am a huge CFL fan who lives in the U.S. and it took some time to learn the game. It is an exciting game to watch. Go Stamps.

Tags:
    Tundra Mustang and Rids like this.
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

First off, welcome to the site @Iddahocoyle!

I like your ideas, certainly a good starting point for an expansion discussion.

Somewhere like Kelowna seems reasonable with the amount of people around it and the $$$ in that town, but can it support a team in September, October and November when the Alberta families leave?

QC is an unknown to me, @deuvl might have a better idea on moving a team into it.

My biggest concern with an east coast team is the travel time and total time difference.

Iddahocoyle likes this.
  3. Rids

Rids Member

Randy Chevrier was thinking the same thing last night.

4. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

I thought that the teams still rely heavily on gate revenues.
    Twelve teams would be cool ..... Although that may be quite a few years in the future.
    Canadian content would be problematic ..... Especially if the Quebec team would want to be all Canadian .

5. Rids

Rids Member

National sponsors are putting more and more dollars into the league. The new sponsors jumping in for the playoffs and Grey Cup are paying nearly double what Scotiabank paid for that sponsorship a few years ago.

So beyond the new TV dollars there's a lot more flowing in than ever before. Questions of course still lie with lack of facilities and lack of owners.

6. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Andrew Bucholtz looked at this subject a couple of days ago as well.

Redblacks-Alouettes is a look at Quebec City, a potential CFL expansion site

On its own, Saturday's CFL preseason clash between the Ottawa Redblacks and the Montreal Alouettes (7:30 p.m. Eastern) shouldn't mean much. The preseason's notable for those on the roster bubble and for a look at teams' overall depth, but it doesn't say a lot about how teams will actually play when the season rolls around. Saturday's game deserves special attention, though, as while Ottawa's technically the home team, the game is being played in Quebec City at Laval University's Stade Telus. Quebec City has frequently received mention as a CFL expansion candidate, but the league itself has gone back and forth on whether it's actually being considered. Saturday's game, and the reception to it in particular, may give us an indication of how viable a CFL market Quebec City might be.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/c...a-potential-cfl-expansion-site-211324942.html

Iddahocoyle likes this.
  7. Liske

Liske Member

Quebec City makes sense. Ontario has three teams and Quebec only has one. La Belle province definitely has the population to support a CFL franchise.