CFL: It Reflects Us All

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

For those who didn't see the opening to TSN's Canada Day telecast of the Montreal-Calgary game, here's a terrific video produced by the CFL commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Grey Cup which includes a lot of Canadiana, and which will, I'm sure, bring back a flood of memories for both recent and long time fans of the league:

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRKtgNW42xU[/video]

Is ours a great game or what? :D

TM

Tags:
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Blown away here. Awesome vid.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Too bad the CFL doesn't have what the NFL has. NFL Films. They could release all kinds of DVDs on the history of the CFL... All about marketing. The CFL falls down badly here.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I have the entire DVD set of CFL traditions released in 2003. They should make a new updated version.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I didn't see or hear a reference to Sam Etcheverry or Hal Patterson. They deserve to have been mentioned. No reference either to Bombers qb Ken Ploen who played in 4 Grey Cup wins out of 6. Possibly the greatest "Money QB" who ever played. And is Angelo Mosca really a villain? Compare his late hit on Willie Fleming in the 1963 Grey Cup game to what Shea Emery did on Sunday. Not even close. Mosca's hit was more of a momentum hit (as he had already committed to the tackle when Fleming went out of bounds & couldn't stop) rather than a deliberate attempt to injure like Emery's. I also think Hamilton & Winnipeg don't get enough credit as dominant teams in the 1950's & 60's. From 1957 to 1967, the Bombers played in 6 Grey Cups. The Ti Cats played in 9.

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I was just checking that 1957 season. The Eskimos were first with 14-2 with winnipeg at 12-4. They were poised to win a 4th straight. Back then Eastern teams played 14 games while the west played 16. West final must have been something.

7. Rids

Rids Member

Wondering how many Westerners felt that little twinge when they showed Trudeau on there.

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

So what?

It's a video of less than 4 minutes in length, and only 8 players were referenced by name and a handful of others by means of a close-up of some recognizable faces belonging to Mosca, Wayne Harris and Russ Jackson and others.

Are you going to lampoon and criticize the video because you noted 3 names weren't on it? :huh:

Thousands of players have played in this league since its inception, and in 4 minutes you can mention only so many of them.

I can think of all kinds of great Stampeders players who weren't cited, but again, so what?

This wasn't intended to be an encyclopedic history of the league or complete catalogue of even its very best players, but rather a short vignette of a great and historic past for fans of the CFL.

Why not celebrate something the CFL did right, instead of finding fault with how the project was approached and executed?

As for Mosca, I don't personally view him as a villain, but many whose memories are longer than mine, do.

I suspect that line was inserted in the video because it was perceived to be a trendy topic given the recent notorious dust-up at last year's Grey Cup between Mosca and Kapp over that same incident.

However you view Mosca, I don't think it constitutes grounds for indictment of a small piece of Canadian sports history which the CFL has produced here.

And in my view, has done very nicely...;)

TM

9. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Not me.

I've met the man.

TM

10. Rids

Rids Member

Trudeau is a cussword in my family.

11. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It is in the families of many.

Not in mine.

TM

12. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

here we go: 1957 winnipeg ties calgary the first game 13-13 in the west semi then won 15-3 in the second game.

then it was a best of 3 against the eskimos: 19-7 winnipeg in game 1, 5-4 esks in game 2 and 17-2 in OT for the bombers in game 3 to end their dynasty.

Guess the esks got 'Trudeau'd'. :D