CFL Legend Lovell Coleman Passes Away

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Bronko, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

SAD TO REPORT:

Just announced during tonite's game, Lovell Coleman the great stampeder passed away in Kelowna.

Tell you my Lovell story - although nothing was better than watching this guy romp thru the line of scrimmage like a hot knife thru butter. I was just a kid during Lovell's halcyon days but the guy was a bugger for all CFL teams - not just my bombers.

Anyways, fast forward almost 30 years to early 90s. I was out in Surrey, BC being best man at my buddy's wedding. He had purchased a nice house and was having renovations done. Big bugger doing the renovations was making a bit o noise so John (my buddy) introduces me - "Say hello to Lovell!"...... and that is how I met CFL hall of famer Lovell Coleman. He was doing home improvements in Vancouver!

RIP - Mr. Coleman - you were one of the great ones.....

Also had a visit today from a couple of Ernie Pitts grandchildren.
    [​IMG]
    Lyle B. Style

Tags:
    Tundra Mustang likes this.
  2. Jason Newlin

Jason Newlin Member

A very sad story.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

That's truly sad news to hear.

My wife and I only returned from a week-long holiday in Kelowna late Friday night.

I had no idea he had retired there or I would have made a sincere effort to have looked him up.

Lovell represents my very earliest memory as a Stampeders fan, having seen him in action at McMahon against the BC Lions in a night game in October, 1964 where he rolled off right tackle in a sweep that went 70 or 80 yards.

Lovell Coleman was a magnificent talent who should have had a longer career in Calgary than he did.

My condolences to his loved ones as yet another legend of the game passes into history with the sands of time...

TM

4. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

When I was very young, we lived in the same neighborhood as Mr. Coleman. He was known in the neighbborhood, as a friendly face who enjoyed playing "football" with the kids, if I recall correctly.

R.I.P. Mr. Coleman, R.I.P!

Another familiar name in the neighbborhood was the Harises, Mr. and Mrs. Wayne Harris. All I remember about them was their family pet, a very, very mean dog, a Boxer, aptly named Nero. Whenever he got out of the yard, he terrorized people and other wayward dogs/cats.

#4 Seeker1, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016