CFL Salaries

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

So we all know and understand that the CFL average salary is somewhere around $60K to 65K a year. The League minimum is about $42K a year. That's offset by some players on each team earning 6 figures with the starting QB usually taking home $250K to $450K.

Also much to our dismay we know and understand that the CFL isn't the largest/richest/most popular football league in the world. So there's no use comparing it dollar for dollar with the NFL, NHL, NBA or MLB. But with that in mind where does it stack up against the next level down?

Minor Baseball:
    http://nationalsportsandentertainment.w ... l-players/

So if a minor league baseball season runs from March to October a Triple A rookie would earn $17,200. A Double A rookie would earn $12,000.

Now their teams pick up a few more expenses than a CFL team but really it isn't much. Especially considering that many Triple A rookies are in their 4th, 5th or 6th year of pro ball.

Minor Hockey:
    From 2010 but a review of salaries shows that over half the Western Conference of the AHL was spending less than $2Million per year on their 20 man roster. (Rochester was spending $3Million on Michael Nylander alone making their total payroll over $5Million)

$2Million per year averages out to $100,000 per player, but you'll notice that like the CFL most of the players are making between $60K-80K.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/10/13/1 ... ary-charts
    http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/10/12/1 ... ed-payroll

The CBA agreement for the AHL shows that their minimum salary this year is $40,500 for players on American teams and $42,000 for players on Canadian teams.

http://www.phpa.com/en/content/home/abo ... agreement/

Minor Basketball:
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/a ... TLIN941954

This here is a gap much larger than the CFL to NFL gap. Pretty amazing that players line up for this league when they could make much more by heading to Europe. However by staying in the US and playing in the D-League they could get the call at any moment to move up.

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

That very nicely puts things in perspective, doesn't it, Rids?

The CFL is at least basically on par with AHL hockey.

Did your research turn up what NLL players receive?

I don't think they get a lot (since I think virtually all of them hold down day jobs outside of their lacrosse games), but I've never seen any reports on what they're paid.

TM

3. Rids

Rids Member

NLL has an interesting set up for salaries. Instead of a team cap they have an individual cap and I believe they have adjusted that to include the opportunity to franchise a veteran player. When I was working with the league the player maximum was at $27,000 per year.

There were many issues back then and I knew several players that never did get paid their full amounts.

Update to add this:

http://www.ilindoor.com/2012/02/03/nati ... ern-again/

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Really wish our players were paid at least double what they make now... Be nice if the CFL had a 9 million dollar salary cap. Having TSN as the sole rightsholder doesn't help the league make more money. I don't know why the new contract wasn't opened up for bidding.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

CFL salaries (other than star QBs and key black-mailers like Milt Stegall) are notoriously low. However, would fans shell out $85 an average ticket instead of $42 if salaries doubled?

Not sure. Some would to be sure but I suspect it would be less than 50% of the ticket buying fan base.

Gotta do better than that.

And would TSN pay much more for TV rights? OK, maybe 10 or 15% more if their heads were put against the wall but not much more.

In Winnipeg the Goldeyes (Independend pro baseball, about developmental to A ball) pays most of its players $800 to $1200 per month (plus they get to live with families donating housing and meals)

The Goldeyes have been rated the #1 franchise in pro baseball the last 2 years. They sell approx. 300,000 seats a year for 50 home games at prices ranging from $7.50 a tkt. to $45.

They make tons of coin. Players still get about $1000/mo. Some of the "big" stars get around $2,500 a month.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's all about tv revenue. Ask the NFL. Unfortunately, we live in a country with just 10 major cities with the majority being under a million in population each & a country of just 34 million people. That & TSN is holding the league back not shelling out for the true vaalue of what the CFL is worth to them. With Honourable Mention to Rod Black.

redwhite2005 likes this.
  7. Bronko

Bronko Member

Maybe we should petition the govt. to send Rod up to the Senate, replace that psychopath Brazeau.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, the Senate does seem to reward those that don't deserve it so he'd fit right in.

9. blueandgoldguy

Don't tell that to the Goldeyes. Back in 2010 or 2011 apprently they lost money.:angel:

Anyways, rumors are the new CFL TV contract with TSN will pay double the amount of the old contract. I was hoping for triple, but that was probably unrealistic.

Old contract was around $15 million per year. That worked out to 1.85 million per team. With the new contract rumored to be in the range of $30 million per year and factoring in the expansion team in Ottawa, each team should be receiving $3.3 million per year by 2014. That's a $1.45 million increase. NOt sure what percentage of revenues players get from the contract, but I would have to assume $0% would be reasonable, if not more. So approximately $600,000 increase per team.

With that kind of increase, I could see franchise QBs (the next Calvillo, Ray or Lulay) getting $500,000 - $600,000 per season. Top non-import offensive linemen receiving $200,000+ per season, top import receivers $200,000 - $250,000 per season, and top non-import receivers getting $200,000+ per season. I think the a lot of the players mentioned by the previous poster who make in the $60,000 - $80,000 range will see increases to the $75,000 - $95,000 range.

I would like them to see earn a little bit more (iso's idea of doubling salaries), but it's a start.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, it's something but still not enough. Doesn't help that down east things seem to be contracting as stadiums being built or refurbed are in the 22 to 24,000 capacity mark. Twenty two thousand??? WTF???

11. Flash

Flash Member

For some they are more profitable at 25,000 stadium than in a larger venue. Fewer seats = fewer ushers/security/ticket takers. It also results in fewer physical items like restrooms, concession stands which also reduces the staff needed to operate them.

12. Rids

Rids Member

Found this from last December.

Full story - http://www.leaderpost.com/business/real ... story.html

13. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

that last bit didn't prevent he who i will not name from landing a neat job in spite of chasing bronko around an open field for the past 10 years :D

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Putting all those toilet flushers out of work with their black suits & white gloves was a tragedy.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Abou Mecherek did okay for himself. The CFL can open a lot of doors for players looking for careers that might not otherwise be available to us. If they are smart & take advantage of that, they may be lucky enough to find a career that they may have the rest of their working lives. When you look at a guy like Joff Reynolds, had he wanted to, I'm sure an oil & gas company would have hired him in the sales & marketing department just because of his good reputation (at the time) & because of his name as a Calgary Stampeder. Instead, he never did any career planning & brought a lot of financial & legal woes upon himself.

16. Rids

Rids Member

Old topic but found some new info today that fits this discussion.

Major League Soccer is faced with a similar situation that the CFL has in that they are the top league in their country (well two countries) but they have trouble attracting the audience as most fans watch the EPL on TV rather than attend the games in their back yard. This gate driven league needs to make some improvements to create stability and maybe should reach out to the CFL to get some advice.

Only 4 of the 19 MLS teams spent above the CFL's SMS and Vancouver only by 8 thousand dollars.

Here's a chart with MLS Salaries:
    [​IMG]

http://theshinguardian.com/2013/06/05/is-greed-good-part-ii-hey-mls-corporate-ante-up/

deuvl likes this.
  17. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

That is indeed the issue in Montreal. The soccer fan base is huge as shown when Beckham came to town and drew 60,000+.

But when it comes to the Impact itself there's not as much interest. Nonetheless it's still quite an accomplishment to leave the second division and make it in the MLS. We're averaging 19,000 a game at higher prices as opposed to 11-12,000 before.

18. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

I agree it should be open! Have the networks bid a on a per game basis. This way you get a high exposure for the CFL and its players.

19. ArgoCister

ArgoCister Member

I've been hearing talk in the USA that stadiums will be rebuilt smaller than they are now, as most of the revenues now come from TV and sponsors. Any new stadiums will be built with camara needs being of prime importance and creating a smaller intimate atmosphere or 50,000.:) They are considering lifting blackouts in order to attract more local sponsors.
    It would be interesting to compare percentage wise the ticket incomes:TV income ratios of the CFL and the NFL.

20. Rids

Rids Member

I think the future of NFL stadiums will sit in that 65,000 to 75,000 mark. New Levi's Stadium that will be home for the 49ers will be about 68,000. The future of those stadiums though will be in re-creating the "home" experience with better wi-fi to go with the HD replay screens along with the "stadium" experience of being in a large crowd, tailgating, stadium foods.

http://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/future/LevisStadium.htm