Stampeders.com CFL Scouting Bureau releases April rankings

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

TORONTO -- The Canadian Football League Scouting Bureau today published its final edition of the top 15 ranked prospects prior to the 2013 CFL Canadian Draft which is scheduled for Monday, May 6 at Noon ET (TSN).

Fourteen of the 15 ranked players on last year’s CFL Scouting Bureau list heading into the draft were selected in the 2012 CFL Canadian Draft. Five of those players were selected in the first round.

Here is the full ranking:

1. (1) Bo Lokombo LB Oregon
    2. (4) Stefan Charles DL Regina
    3. (3) Linden Gaydosh DL Calgary
    4. (2) Matt Sewell OL McMaster
    5. (6) Andy Mulumba DL Eastern Michigan
    6. (10) Nolan MacMillan OL Iowa
    7. (5) Ben D’Aguilar DL McMaster
    8. (11) Brett Jones OL Regina
    9. (9) Brent Urban DL Virginia
    10. (14) Mike Edem LB Calgary
    11. (NR) Seydou Junior Haidara WR Laval
    12. (7) Corey Watman OL Eastern Michigan
    13. (8) Jesse Joseph DL UCONN
    14. (NR ) Connor Williams DL Utah St.
    15. (NR) Brander Craighead OL UTEP

Who are the potential new Stampeders???

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Disappointing to see only one skill position player in the Top 10. The CFL should just forget about drafting any players other than OL, DL & linebackers because that's all the CFL Draft is all about now. Hard to get excited.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Remember that the Scouting Bureau is part truth and part whitewash.

For example Nolan MacMillian is a really good player when healthy but nobody will take him at #6 knowing he has missed an entire season in 2011 and was also injured in 2010 with a different injury. So while he's a solid lineman he's not going that early (unless somebody totally didn't do their homework on him). Interesting to see Haidara make it up into the Top 15. I have Michael DiCroce as my top receiver (#17 overall).

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Things could be very good for the 7 legit teams in the league as Jersey Joe Wallsnot (Joe Mack) has 3 picks in the top 17 so his typical cocktail of going off the board and pickin' skinny minnies (Etienne) could mean some outstanding spoils for the Stamps and the other 6 teams.

Even half the Winnipeg lemmings have thrown in the towel on Mack and hope this year is his last as they get the stadium ready for the following year. Other than place-holders, new stadium sniffers and children who can't tell the difference the bomber fanbase is rapidly eroding.

5. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

Justin Dunk's 2013 CFL Mock Draft - V1.0 Stampeders
    1st round
    Brent Urban - DL After losing Brian Bulcke in free agency the Stamps reload along the defensive line with the big Virginia Cavalier.

2nd round
    1.Bo Lokombo - LB The Stamps gamble and take Lokombo who some view as the best player in the draft, but could end up in the NFL after his final year at Oregon
    2.Hosam Shahin - DL Shahin had his best season in 2012 at Rice. He recorded a career-best 45 tackles and led Conference USA interior linemen with 5 sacks a total that ranked him fifth in the nation.

3rd round
    Natey Adjei - WR Adjei doesn’t have much film for scouts to evaluate, but he is an interesting prospect based on potential and time spent developing at an NCAA Division I school.

Link

6. Rids

Rids Member

My take on the Stampeders not re-signing Bulcke was more of them moving away from it being a non-import spot than wanting to just change horses so to speak. With Urban being a redshirt-junior do they want to use a first round pick on a future player? Finally they went DL in the first round last year and ended up giving him to Montreal for nothing.

I'm still leaning heavy on Lokombo going to Ottawa in the first round at the #9 spot simply because if he doesn't play in the NFL he'll be an ideal CFL Strong side LB.

Dunk seems to believe (or just flat out know) that Calgary is leaning on defensive players which if true this is a great trio of players to draft first. Shahin might be a little over drafted going in the second round. I have him as a 3rd round pick. If Dunk is right about the positions then the players I would take based on my own grades for them are: DE Andy Mulumba (recent NFL Draft Pick talks might slide him out of the first round), LB CO Prime and DL Conner Williams. 2008 was the last time the Stampeders took 4 from NCAA schools with their first 4 picks and oddly enough their third pick was Fernand Kashama, whose little brother Kalonji should be available into the 3rd round, and their 4th pick was from Buffalo where Natey Adjei currently attends.

Now the Adjei eligibility is an issue for me. This is one of those areas that I would love to see the CFL clear the air and make it known exactly who can be drafted and who can't. By my count Natey Adjei attended the City College of San Francisco for 2009, 2010. In 2011 he was supposed to move to University of Hawaii who went through a coaching change and his scholarship offer was dropped in the process. So he never was on the roster at Hawaii and then in 2012 he was at the University of Buffalo and on the roster. The answer I got from Justin Dunk was that he was 4 years out of high school and on a university roster and therefore eligible for the draft but that doesn't wash as there are a ton of CIS players that are 4 years out of high school, have been on a roster but since they played junior first they aren't eligible.

I ended up in this same discussion a couple years ago when dealing with a player who wasn't eligible but was in the same situation as Natey currently is. They attending a Junior College for 2 years, transferred to a 4 year institution where they redshirted their first year there so they weren't eligible until their NCAA eligibility was complete, meaning the two seasons or 5 years after high school. The years out of high school isn't part of the CFL rules anyhow as you can go from high school to the CFL if you really wanted to (Hank Illesic played in the CFL as a 17 year old) and junior players can join their territorial CFL teams after a year as well.

Time to clean up the rules, set some guidelines and open it up for the fans to be involved.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I always wondered why CFL teams draft a player with one more year of eligibility. Lots of things could happen in a year & drafting a guy with another year does nothing to help a team now. It's not a waste but really the CFL should just take the guys coming out of college when they are done. With our small rosters & limited resources as a league we should be drafting when a player is ready. The CFL does not have a developmental league like the NHL, NBA or MLB have. There are still players in the NCAA so changing the rules wouldn't make a bit of difference as far as these players are concerned.

8. Rids

Rids Member

At this point they haven't changed the rules because it was part of the Ottawa expansion deal. They were going to allow Ottawa a chance to bring in 10 more non-imports than normal to their very first camp to give them a shot at building some NI depth. (4 picks from the year before + 6 picks in their starting year)

Overall the problem is that the draft rules were written in the 70s and actually before freshmen were allowed to play on the varsity team at NCAA schools. Back then the redshirt wasn't really an option outside of a medical reason that could appeal to regain a year. So things weren't adjusted with the times and therefore now they need a lot to tweak them up to speed.

9. Rids

Rids Member

The more I think about it the less I think Ottawa will take Bo Lokombo with the #9 pick. However I still think that if the Stampeders are looking at a LB in the second round that CO Prime is a better pick for them.

Lots of updates - http://RidleyScouting.com/CFLDraft.html

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

So what you're saying is that Winnipeg will pick him at #2? :p

11. Bronko

Bronko Member

Reason? Player is too good to pass up. And the seniors ahead of him aren't deemed to be viable as anything more than Wad Miller special teamers or special team backups. (aka bottom of the barrels)

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The answer I give back is what's the point of drafting NCAA players a year before they graduate? There's no need to draft players like that. The CFL & CIS both have to clean up the rules as they are both at fault.