CFL Team In Moncton

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by iso_55, Apr 11, 2013.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Don't buy it in Moncton. Metropolitan area is too small. Not to say that a couple of games a year couldn't be played there like the Green Bay Packers used to do in Milwaukee but the team has to be based out of Halifax with a larger population base. The big stumbling blocks are finding ownership & building a 25,000 seat stadium. Although looking at Hamilton, Montreal & Ottawa, I think a 22-23,000 seat venue would be acceptable to the CFL. The cost would be anywhere between $150 & $200 million in 2013 dollars. All 3 levels of government would need to sign on & I can't see that happening. I would love to see a team in QC. What a great rivalry that would be with the Als. Two teams in Quebec make more sense to me than a team in the Maritimes.

3. Flash

Flash Member

I'd love to see a team in both Moncton and Halifax.

You know with places like Spokane, Washington able to be home to the highest level of indoor football and Everett, Washington able to be home to the highest level of lacrosse why not try these cities out. Add 3 teams for a great 12 team league! Even heard a CFL rumor about Utica, New York being interested.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Been there, done that. CFL expansion to the US didn't work in the early 90's & won't work now. Never happen again. And population in the Maritimes can't support two CFL teams. One is a question mark, let alone 2.

5. PAUL74

PAUL74 Member

Labour laws in the USA make it imposible to have the import ratio so the teams in the USA get a huge advantage by not having to play Canadians. Every league that has tried to challange the NFL in the USA has failed. It is best not to repeat history on this.

I would love to see two more teams in the CFL. That way the season means something. 6 in the west, 6 in the east with the same playoff format. That would make each game more important IMO.

6. Avry

Avry Member

I wonder what other cities in Western Canada could handle the CFL?

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Saskatoon would be the only one.

8. PAUL74

PAUL74 Member

Saskatoon would be a great choice but if that didn't work out you could still have two eastern teams join say Quebec city and Moncton and just have Ottawa be part of the West Division like Winnipeg has been part of the east for the last 15 years or so. Saskatoon would definitly be the perfect location. 4 teams so close together would make for great rivalries.

9. Rusty

Rusty Member

Red Deer? Get as many Alta teams as possible. Only problem with Red Deer getting a team would mean that Edmonton would want a team also.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Ottawa is 90 minutes from Montreal & a natural rival. As well as being an Ontario city. Having them in the West makes no sense.

11. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Victoria?

Kelowna?

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

No, I don't believe so. Victoria & Kelowna especially don't have the population base. Stadiums too, are the problem. No way the Okanagan Valley could fill a 22,000 seat stadium ten times a year let alone find the money to build them.

13. Rids

Rids Member

The metro area of Kelowna isn't that much smaller than Regina.

About 30,000. As long as all 30,000 aren't the ones that go to the Riders games it's not so bad. It'd be the only game in town and could be a great party all summer and a destination road game during the nice fall weather.

Facilities will hold the CFL back for decades unless something changes.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We know it won't, Rids. You & I have discussed this. It's Canada. A country where we expect our athletes to win on the world stage WITHOUT facilities totrain or watch. There are high schools in the US than have better facilities than most CIS universities. The only sport that counts is hockey.

15. pizmo

pizmo Member

Sorry to say but the Maritimes won't cut it. The best bet would be a team in Quebec City.

16. Rids

Rids Member

Piz I wish I had the cash to prove you wrong.

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Never thought I'd hear you say that Piz as I know you love New Brunswick. I think Halifax is the only logical place it could work but not Moncton.

18. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

You guys don't think that extra 1:30, (I think that's what it is), on top of the Eastern time difference would cause major problems?

Not to mention the extra travel time involved in getting there.

19. Rids

Rids Member

Atlantic time is only an hour ahead of Eastern. It's those Newfies that are so far ahead.

And as for the travel it's no worse than having Saskatchewan in the League. Montreal flies to Calgary to change planes and fly back to Regina. Jason Clermont once told me that they had to change planes twice to get to a team in the East once. Hamilton's airport is a glorified Purolator hub.

I think if you do start with just one Maritime team at some point you just schedule teams to play in Montreal or Ottawa or even Toronto the week before or after and they can just stay on the road. Set it up for a Saturday game one week then Thursday game the next. Create a partnership with a university so visiting CFL teams have access to quality practice facilities.

Honestly if that Canadian rugby league can manage to play with teams in all 10 provinces it's a shame the CFL can hardly manage 5.

20. iso_55

iso_55 Member

It's not the time zones, it's the population & the fact no one has stepped up to try & own a team. All the usual suspects like the Irvings & McCains just don't seem interested in shelling out the cash to get a stadium built & purchase a team. Plus, the NS & NB governments don't seem too keen on the idea of an expanded stadium in Moncton or a new stadium in Halifax. And to think a decade ago, Haligonians were pumping their chests at what a great sports city they thought they had. The Negative Nannies sure killed it for them as did the recession of 2008.