Chevrier drops more than 40 pounds in bid to keep his job with Stampeders

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 27, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Randy Chevrier.jpg

Mixture of diet, intense off-season training has veteran faster at a svelte 242
    Vicki Hall, CalgaryHerald.com

For a proud man like Randy Chevrier, four games on the sidelines as a healthy scratch felt like a punch to the gut.
    On the outside, the Calgary Stampeders long snapper managed to still smile during his month-long hiatus in the 2012 Canadian Football League season. He stayed on the field long after practice, quietly venting his frustrations by flipping giant truck tires.

Retiring was not an option for the Calgary Stampeders long snapper — at least not a palatable one. But he could sense turbulence ahead.

So Chevrier devised a game plan to give himself the best shot at a 13th season in professional football.

The strategy: to drop 35 pounds and weigh in at 250 pounds for the opening day of training camp with an eye to making a difference in coverage on special teams.

During his exit meeting with Stamps head coach/GM John Hufnagel, Skinny Chevy was born.

“I snap because it’s what I do well, but being that heavy, I wasn’t always the fastest guy down field,” Chevrier says. “When you’re bigger, a 225-pound guy is going to be faster than you regardless, right?

“I said, Huff, ‘I would like to do this, to get to a level 250 pounds to give me a chance to do more for the club.’ And he thought about it for a second and he looked at me, and he said he thought it was a good idea.

“So the challenge was on.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...rops+more+than+pounds+keep/8441808/story.html

2. Flash

Flash Member

So he basically lost a 5 year old kid. That's amazing.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, saw him at Fanfest and he looked like a stick figure - a bad ass face smashing stick figure mind you.

4. DELVID

DELVID New Member

Good on Randy. It really does take committment and he's shown it.

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Randy Chevrier looking slim and trim for Calgary Stampeders season
    Scott Mitchell, Calgarysun.com

As a 37-year-old heading into his 13th professional football season, Randy Chevrier knows he’s on borrowed time.

Voluntarily letting go, however, isn’t an option for the longtime Calgary Stampeders snapper extraordinaire.

“I’ll play as long as they’ll let me,” said Chevrier, in the midst of his ninth training camp at McMahon Stadium. “It’s not about me calling it quits. It’s about someone here telling me they’ve had enough of me. That day would come after me exhausting all options to continue doing what I do.

“I want to play forever. And I feel like I can.”

A slimmed-down Chevy showed up to CFL camp this spring after shedding 40 pounds during the off-season, the impetus being a four-game stint as a healthy scratch to start the 2012 season, which didn’t sit well with the veteran long-snapper.

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/06/0...g-slim-and-trim-for-calgary-stampeders-season