Chris Mathews

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Addicted, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Addicted

Addicted Member

Cut by the Bombers. Any interest in bringing him back for another look? Seems to have some discipline issues, but we are short on talent in the receiving core!

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd pass.

Within a week or so of winning the Grey Cup with Calgary last year, Matthews asked for and was granted his outright release from the club.

He wanted to ''pursue other opportunities".

If staying in town, and helping a just recently crowned and talent-laden championship team to defend that title wasn't enough motivation for him then, how motivated is he going to be to return to Calgary now and help a depleted and clearly struggling squad in its quest to return to the podium in November?

I just don't think he's the kind of player the Stampeders need.

There's no question the guy still has some talent, and as a late-season acquisition in 2018, he certainly played a significant role in Calgary's Grey Cup win last November.

But I certainly do question his character and dedication to the team (when even more would be sought from him now given the depleted depth of the receiving corps that would surround him), and particularly when the going gets even tougher (as it will) over the latter part of this season.

I suspect that when the going gets tough, Chris Matthews will just check out.

I think the Stampeders will have some better options with NFL final cuts looming on the horizon in a mere matter of a few days from now.

TM

Seeker1 likes this.
  3. AllSportsCalgary

I don't think so. He has talent, but seems to be "sulking" because he is back in the CFL.

4. Addicted

Addicted Member

Looks like it was all a mute point anyway, Mathews signed in Montreal the next day after being released.

5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, but it clearly was a rebound signing for him...:D

We all know he had to have had second thoughts after he abruptly pulled the pin on his Stampeders' career last December.

But, ya know, when your first choice spurns you, whatsa guy gonna do? :p

Go Stamps!

TM