CJFL

Discussion in 'Calgary Dinos and CIS Talk' started by Rids, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Going to slip a CJFL note into here because this deserves a little recognition.

I'm not sure how that even happens. I remember way back in 2000 coaching high school we made an adjustment to block a kick (and it worked) and our head coach actually made the adjustment back the next time just so we didn't run up the score on them.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

If anyone has any PFC news, please post it.

3. Rids

Rids Member

PFC Players of the Week -

These are the www.VidSwap.com PFC Players of the Week for Week 6 of the 2012 season.
    PFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK

OFFENSE-KYLE SIEMENS-REGINA THUNDER

Siemens who has been a “relief pitcher” over the season’s first half earned himself a start in last Saturday’s 39-36 win over the Edmonton Huskies. His first start turned out to be a great evening as he threw for 405 yards and 4 touchdowns in the win. Siemens is currently 6th in passing yards in the conference with 639.

DEFENSE-SPENCER COLE-CALGARY COLTS

Cole was a very busy defender in Sunday’s home victory over the Edmonton Wildcats. He would be in on a dozen tackles as he recorded 5 solo tackles along with 7 assisted stops. He would also force a Wildcat fumble as he racked up 19 defensive points on the day.

SPECIAL TEAMS-IDEEN SAMADI-EDMONTON WILDCATS

Samadi was a perfect 4 for 4 in the field goal department in Sunday’s road loss to Calgary. Among the 4 he made was a PFC season-longest 50 yard in the fourth quarter. Samadi has been good on 14 of 19 attempts in his first season in the PFC and leads the conference scoring race with 61 points.

4. Rids

Rids Member

Just in case you thought the Bombers were the only football in Winterpeg

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Nothing much changes in Winnipeg. Very unfortunate for that organization. I feel bad for the players. A lot of them played with my son.

6. CoachB57

CoachB57 Member

Interesting how the Rifles two stud OT's went up and committed to the U of M, no sooner did the Rifles land the two OT's from the U of M...funny how that works. So losing those two OT's and their QB from last year have really hurt them. Not sure what is lacking in their recruitment, but they need to figure it out, and quick. If they dont, they will end up like the Edmonton Huskies have, a program that takes the cast aways that are misfits.

7. Rids

Rids Member

I've wondered if moving to the Rifles to Brandon would give the program it's own identity rather than being in the shadow of the Bison. Thoughts?

8. CoachB57

CoachB57 Member

Tough from a recruitment perspective to move a team to a smaller community, in my opinion anyways. By doing that, you could possibly interest some of players from successful rural programs.

I really think for them, its a matter of getting out everywhere, leaving no stone unturned and having a consistent message of how they operate.

9. Rids

Rids Member

I can see that side of it for sure. I find that junior sports work better in smaller centers and if people can get behind them it could turn into something special.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

In Manitoba 75% of the people live in Winnipeg. It would be a disaster to move the team to Brandon, a city of 45,000. There's not enough people in Western Manitoba to support a junior team. And players from Winnipeg would never play there.
    The other thing to consider is that junior teams have to help players from out of town get jobs so they have money to support themselves for 3 months. Where would they find jobs for 60 players in a town of 45,000 as that is what they'd have to do? In Winnipeg, the number of out of town players are a handful so it isn't that big a deal.
    The President of the team is GM of a large construction company & he employs players as labourers. They get paid real well for what they do. One of the coaches has a propane business recycling old tanks. My son worked for him when he played there. The Winnipeg players already have jobs or go to school. A couple of the players were car salesmen who worked at a large car dealership in Winnipeg & apparently pretty slick. They made quite a few bucks from what my son told me.

11. Rids

Rids Member

If the top franchise in the country can survive with imported players and playing in Nanaimo, playing in Brandon doesn't seem like a stretch. Now Nanaimo is a larger city but a huge number of their roster is from out of province (Airdrie sends 4 or 5 kids a year there that the Dinos, Colts won't bother to offer).

When it boils down to it playing in Winnipeg with 1 good season out of 8 isn't an easy way to draw players. They need to do something that will make it a destination for players rather than a consolation prize for not making the Bisons.

A quick look at the Rifles website shows it's brutal and out of date. Awful website for a junior level team, their roster is split between 3 pages and of the kids that have a hometown listed only 2 are from outside Manitoba and 85% are listed as from Winnipeg. Teams can't compete like that. They have 1 NCAA Div2 bounceback kid that is likely waiting on a chance to join the Bisons and probably wishing he was still holding a clipboard at Minnesota State rather than being there.

Basically it boils down to do they want to succeed or just be. Looking at the state of the franchise with 1 playoff win in a decade I would say that they just want to be. If I'm a recruiter I'm sending my kids info to them just to get the feel good offer but then taking the family aside and saying stay away from this.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Rids, coming from Winnipeg I know it'd never work in Brandon. The kids in Winnipeg look down to the place. They'd never go there to play. They'd rather play in another province than Brandon. Again, I reiterate that ninety five per cent of the team would be from somewhere else. They'd have to find these kids jobs. Good luck with that.
    Comparing Nanaimo to Brandon is like comparing apples to oranges population wise. Brandon isn't big enough to support junior football. And finally, where would you find the coaches in a city of 45,000 & a surrounding area of another 10,000?
    There was talk that the PFC would put a team in Brandon but that was shot down by the league a number of years ago. It costs money to run a junior team & the start up costs would be enormous for any one or group of business people to take on.
    The other thing to consider is that Brandon has zero football facilities. The Rifles played the Thunder 3 years ago in Brandon on a field with bleachers smaller than Field #8 at Shouldice. It would cost at least a million dollars or more to install field turf with a 2 or 3,000 seat grandstand. The money just isn't there in Brandon to do it. Or the will.
    As far as the Rifles itself & why they are such an abysmal failure? Talk to any former player & he will tell you the coaching staff is the problem. Not the players as the Rifles have the talent to win & always did. It's the coaches & how they run the team. The whole culture of the Rifles organization needs changing but I don't think it ever will.

13. Rids

Rids Member

It's just a disappointment to see what could be something turn into just another also ran.

14. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, agree. I had a much longer post but decided to edit it. Pretty scathing indictment of the coaching staff with specific things that happened as told to me. My son isn't there anymore so I decided to delete what I posted about those guys. He couldn't wait to get the hell out of there after 2 seasons. The day after their playoff loss he was driving back to Calgary never to return. Let's just say when it comes to the Rifles, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The other thing about the Rifles is that really don't have any money financially. Compare the Colts flying to Winnipeg for a game. Never happen with the Rifles. Ever. The Colts haven't been a Mickey Mouse organization since Keith Kendall took over. He changed the way the team saw itself. He elevated that team & now John Stevens is looking to take it higher. In Winnipeg, the Rifles are stuck with how the Colts used to be a decade ago. And have no clue how to get better.

16. Rids

Rids Member

We may not agree on everything all the time or at least at first but nobody will question our passion for the game and wanting it to be better than it is.

17. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yes, surely we do. Winnipeg is a shame. So many good players & coaches not able to turn them into winners.