Congratulations to Darryl Sutter and the L.A. Kings

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Liske, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Liske

Liske Member

Thanks for finally bringing the playoffs to an end. Congrats to LA on winning their first ever Stanely Cup.

The Devils put up a fight and made things interesting, but LA was consistently the best team since the playoffs began. I was surprised LA made it past the Canucks. But the Kings were on some kind of an unstoppable roll.

Sutter should have won the Jack Adams , but for some reason wasn't officially nominated. Since he took over coaching, the team's fortunes turned 180 degrees.

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Bittersweet experience watching Sutter accept the Cup.

It can't help but evoke nostalgic and wistful memories for Flames fans of what could have been under Sutter in 2004.

And what was oh so close to being.

Good for Darryl!

The man can coach alright! :D

As I said in another thread several weeks ago, "Darryl's makin' a run"...

Looks like he can slow down at least for the summer now...;)

TM

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Should make a movie outta this

Call it 'DARRYL'S RUN'.................

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Never was a fan of Darryl The GM but he is a great NHL head coach. Congratulations to Darryl on winning the Stanley Cup.

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

I don't know if he brought us back to 2004, but his run certainly coincided with the league regressing back to 2004 hockey. There was virtually no offense in the Stanley Cup Finals until several garbage goals in a lopsided game 6 clincher. I congratulate Daryl, I'm thrilled for him, but I'm still not very happy about the state of the NHL right now. Unless you were a fan of one of the teams involved it just wasn't great entertainment or drama.

On the radio tonight they were asking what we would most remember about this series 10 years from now, and I drew a complete blank. I love hockey, but I have enjoyed very little of this years playoffs, and I vehemently dislike not being able to enjoy the sport I love. Jonathan Quick was 100% deserving of the Con Smythe for his phenomenal playoff run, but I can't recall seeing a goalie tested so little night in and night out.

I probably haven't heard my most despised hockey-isms as much as I have this year since the pre-lockout days. I'm referring to "the refs are letting them play" or it's twin sister "they're letting the players decide the game." No! No they're not! By not enforcing the rules they're taking the game out of the players hands. It becomes more about getting a bounce to score a goal than making a play. Besides, if the refs are going to let you play, I've always thought it'd probably be easier to do so if they would detach that water skier from your back.

I'm all for great goaltending, but when a goalie is playing that good and the game is so bogged down by, among other things arbitrarily blind officiating, it's just not viewer friendly.

Here's hoping this year the CBA will be resolved quicker than in '04 changes to improve the game (and there better be some made) will be more permanent than last time around.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

NHL hockey is really 3 different type of games.

1. The pre-season- which is essentially a glorified training camp, nobody cares except rookies and free agents trying to land a spot and vets trying to shed a few pounds and get into shape... pity the fans who pay full boar for pre-season exhibitions - however hope springs eternal and even the lower tier teams can look very good (mostly opponents floating thru games)

2. Regular season hockey - other than natural rivalries and hockey nite in Canada matches these games are glorified exhibitions but for points (too many 3 point games now which skews the playoff seedings too much).....these games don't contain as much choking playing checking, although the choices are open to the teams. Hard-checking is wear and tear - same with shot-blocking - consequences manifest later in playoffs when promising seeds tend to run out of gas. Or in the case of teams like The Canucks - they're excellent regular season teams but tend to devolve in hard-thwakking playoffs.

3. Playoffs - for the survivors - seeds don't seem to matter much as 8 seeded LA knocked out 1, 2, & 3 seeds in the west. First round is always ripe with controversy, teams are fresh with newfound manufactured anger and there's 2 or more games a night for a couple weeks. It starts to drag out after the second round. CBC & TSN both struggled to manufacture 'Canadian' story-lines.

7. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Paging Mr. Bronks...paging Mr. Bronks...game 7 in the Meadowlands Wednesday evening...game 7 in the Meadow....oh, wait! :p

TM

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

So, you are Steve Bernier today.....