Corey Mace earns Presidents' Ring

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

May 1, 2012
    The Calgary Stampeders are pleased to announce that defensive lineman Corey Mace is the recipient of the team’s Presidents’ Ring award for the 2014 season.

“I am very honoured to receive the Presidents’ Ring,” said Mace. “What means most to me is that it was my teammates who voted for this award and it’s nice to have my brothers respect what I do on and off the field. Much love for these fellas — I’m so proud to be a part of this team.”

The Presidents’ Ring has been presented annually since 1967 to the Stampeders player who best demonstrates excellence on and off the field as voted by the players. Candidates are judged on their in-game contributions, leadership, inspiration and motivational skills. Mace will formally receive his ring at Fanfest on May 23.

Mace, who joined the Stamps in 2010, recorded a sack in the 2014 Grey Cup as he helped the Red and White capture the seventh championship in franchise history. The defensive tackle played 12 regular-season games, recorded 11 tackles, a fumble recovery that set up a touchdown in a win over the Edmonton Eskimos, and a sack. He also had a pass knockdown in the Western Final victory over Edmonton.

As an interior lineman, Mace was a key part of a Stamps that held opponents to an average of less than 100 rushing yards per game and yielded just 19.3 points per game, the second-best mark in the CFL last season.

In 40 career games, the Vancouver native has 44 tackles, four sacks, two fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles.

Off the field, Mace is heavily involved in the community. For the past two years during the holiday season, he has personally spearheaded a turkey and ham drive, with the goods turned over to local food banks and charitable groups. In 2013, Mace launched the Mace’s Faces program, which allows 15 at-risk youth to attend every Stamps home game.

He is also involved in many other community activities with the Stamps including visits to the children’s hospital and the off-season basketball tour of local schools.

“I commend the players for making such an excellent choice to receive this prestigious honour,” said Stampeders president Gordon Norrie. “Corey excels on the field, is a popular figure in the locker room and is a credit to the organization for the way he represents himself and the team in his community activities.”

Here is the complete list of Presidents’ Ring winners since the award was established 48 years ago. Hall-of-Famer Wayne Harris was the first winner of the honour and 31 different men have been presented with the award. Henry Burris, Danny Barrett and Stu Laird won the award on three occasions while two-time winners are Keon Raymond, Jay McNeil, Alondra Johnson, Harris, Allen Pitts, Fairbanks, Bernie Morrison, Ed McAleney, James Sykes, Willie Burden and Jerry Keeling.