Cornish Playing Mind Games; Poised for a Big Year?

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

Cornish Playing Mind Games
    http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/06/09/co ... mind-games

I'm excited to see what Cornish is going to do this year. It sounds like he's in even better shape than last year. His combination of speed, power, the ability to make tacklers miss, and perhaps most importantly his vision, made him the most exciting player on the field last year in my opinion. I know it's a small body of work to base this statement on, but I think he has quickly become the premier running back in the CFL. I mean we're talking about a running back who averaged a ridiculous 7.3 yards per carry, led the league in rushing TDs and nearly hit 1000 yards while only starting less than half of the season. If he can avoid injury (knock on wood), with all due respect to guys like Brandon Whitaker and Corey Boyd, he is in my mind the frontrunner for the rushing title. And it's definitely a safe bet that he will lead the league in yards per carry yet again. ;)

At least those are my bold predictions. What are yours?

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

If he stays healthy, no reason why Cornish can't lead the CFL in rushing.... I predict a great season ahead for ztella..

3. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

Should win the rushing title if healthy all season but that's a big 'if'.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Welcome, Erik. Great to see you over here! If Corndog can stay healthy he has an outstanding chance to be CFL's rushing champion this season. Cornish has shown to be a durable back so he has a great chance to do so!

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

Well based on what we saw last year he might be able to go on a cruise through the Bahamas for the first quarter of the season and still be in the running (pun intended) for the title!

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I don't know about you guys but I'll take Cornish over Jerome Messsam any day of the week.

7. Christoph

Christoph Member

Hell yeah! I never could figure out how Messam got the nod over Cornish for Most Outstanding Canadian nominee from the west. Sure Messam was very good for the most part, but he disappeared for long stretches of games. That lack of production at critical times killed their offense because it became imbalanced and predictable (especially with Dink 'n Dunk Ray falling back into old habits.)

Cornish on the other hand absolutely tore it up whenever he saw the field, both as a backup and especially when he finally got the reins as a starter (which I still maintain came at least a year later than it should have). The only difference is he saw the field less than Messam.

Is the award not for the player who is more outstanding, ie. better? Because to me the fact that the award has the words "most outstanding" in its name implies that that's what it's for. Well I see no logical argument for Messam being the better player. At least none that can't be easily refuted.

I think this is a case where Messam played more and thus had slightly higher stat totals. I think he won it merely because he broke 1000 yards and that hasn't been done by a Canadian in awhile. Well HELLO, Cornish started a mere 7 games and still almost broke that mark!!!! Messam started all year and barely got there. What's more impressive to you?

Messam had a very good 5.4 yards per carry. Cornish average a ridiculous 7.3 per touch. Which one is more indicative of outstanding ability?

Cornish also had more touchdowns, 9 as compared to Messam's 6 (again despite only starting 7 games).

But hey, at least Messam quadrupled Cornish in fumbles right?!

It's called the Most Outstanding Canadian award, not the highest accumulated stat award. Messam is a very good back. Cornish is arguable the best in the CFL. Easy call.

In short, yeah I guess if you twisted my arm, I suppose I'd take Cornish over Messam. Maybe. ;)

8. ztella

ztella Member

I'm a stickler for accuracy. 11 tds Chris :)

I didn't take much offense to not getting it. I'll work on more important goals this year.

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

Yes but wasn't it 9 on the ground? I suppose I should have specified. That's okay I'm sure you'll hit at least 15 combined TDs this year. But, where's the TD passes? I mean you can't make Tate do it all. He's new. Show off that arm ztella! ;)

10. Christoph

Christoph Member

As long as he play around 15 games he's got a shot.