Cory Sheets signs with NFL Raiders

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Stamps Rule, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

2. Rids

Rids Member

A $30,000 signing bonus is a likely sign that Korey won't be back to the CFL for a while.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

A $30K signing bonus, huh?

Then for his sake he'd better hope he either makes the Raiders or is released early.

If he sticks with them through the end of training camp, and gets released in late August or early September without latching on with another club down there, by the time he returns to the CFL it'll be mid-season with only a half-year's contract (and a half-year's salary) left to play for.

I don't know what the 'riders would have offered him in 2014, but I bet it's more than $60K.

Hell, Boerigter bolted the Stampeders for the Kansas City Chiefs more than a decade ago for a reported signing bonus of $75K.

Given what he would have been earning in Calgary through his last season in 2001, I can understand him taking that risk....

Sheets, however...

TM

4. redwhite2005

redwhite2005 Member

Well the guy did have talent but he is a bit of a whack job so the cfl might be better off with out him!

5. Rids

Rids Member

It's due to the latest NFL CBA. There is a cap of free agent signing bonuses of $75,000 so the fact that the Raiders are giving nearly half of their allowed amount to him says something.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/cfl/blog...nd-implications-for-cfl-players?urn=cfl,wp751

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Bonus-for-CFL-wide-receiver-forces-Vikings-to-get-creative.html

NFL minimum salary - $375,000
    NFL Practice Roster - $88,400

CFL minimum salary - $45,000
    CFL average - $80,000

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Capped or not, Rids, it doesn't change the basic math around the potential risk to a player that he'll lose considerable dollars unless he at least earns a practice roster spot in the NFL for a season before returning to the CFL.

In Sheets' case, the bonus he got plus P.R. salary for a season would likely take him into 'break even' territory, given his playing stature in Canada.

But anything less than a P.R. spot likely makes him a loser on the deal.

Of course, should he make the Raiders outright, his gamble would return a spectacular salary payoff for him.

I'm sure that's exactly what he believes will happen.

After all, what's a professional athlete without an ego to match? ;)

And I don't think anyone's ever suggested that Kory Sheets has been found wanting in that commodity. :D

TM

7. Rids

Rids Member

No but in the past the signing bonus was a way to gauge the actual interest in the CFL player. In the pre-bonus cap days, signing bonuses of $10,000 or less were basically slated to be camp bodies which happened on a regular basis.

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks, Rids, I had fully understood and grasped your point.

It had been my understanding as well that the size of the signing bonus was a measure of the sincerity of the NFL's interest in the player signed.

And yes, perhaps $30K is now the new $50K (or more) when it comes to signing bonuses for CFL players.

It's a matter of relative scale.

But that doesn't change the fact that if both parties (assuming that 'sincerity of interest' is mutual) are wrong and the player doesn't stick, the salary hit on the foregone CFL money is not going to be relative.

It'll still be measured in absolute dollars.

TM

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Boy what happened to the good ole days when a nickel and a dime were worth something.