Coyotes Staying in Phoenix -Tentative Deal Reached

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Liske, May 7, 2012.

1. Liske

Liske Member

It looks like the Coyotes are staying put, as a tentative deal has been reached between the NHL and a buyer.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/sto ... -sale.html

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, heard this all before. Even if the sale goes through, we'll be back where we are now in 5 years. Maybe a lot sooner.

3. Christoph

Christoph Member

Don't worry, I can pretty much guarantee that the next headlines we will see regarding this story will involve (A) the Goldwater Institute and (B) the disintegration of yet another potential resolution to the team's ownership woes.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I really want QC to get their Nordiques back. Then my Hockey World would be complete. As crazy as Winnipeg was with the return of the Jets it would even be more nuts at a new Le Colisee!!! Makes me realize hpw lucky I am to be able to cheer on the Jets. Now, if I could only get a hockey ticket to see a home game.

5. Christoph

Christoph Member

Would it seem weird to you if the old Jets became the new Nordiques?

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

What Bettman is doing is managing panic. Nobody manages panic better than PeeWee.

He's got a live one in Glendale city council who keep feeding the shark.....over 60 million in team subsidies and loss support over the last couple years.

Now, with Jamieson on board, PeeWee can lever a deal that sees Glendale giving a substantial arena management contract to Jamieson's group, plus still get Glendale to contribute a lesser amount of loss support so that Jamieson doesn't have to dip into his pockets too often.

Still, I'd like to verify the transfer of funds from Jameson group to NHL of approx. $170 million (agreed value of team) just like Mark Chipman did to post up the Thrashers to Wpg.

If the NHL is giving Jamieson default ownership, then Phoenix/Glendale are in no better position than they were with NHL ownership and Glendale loss subsidies.

7. iso_55

iso_55 Member

They better have their t's dotted & i's crossed (sorry, I couldn't resist ;) ) because the Goldwater Institute is watching...

8. Liske

Liske Member

I think the Coyotes averaged something like 12,000 per game this season. That should worry the new owner.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

12,000 is a lot better than what most people report were in the house - 6,000 to 8,500 for most games.

Thems old WHA numbers!!!

Even if it was 12,000 I suspect at least 4,000 to 4,500 were papering the house - when you buy 2 eggs and some artificial gooop pancake mix at IHOP you get two $41.25 tickets for the Yotes FREE!!!

Or buy six bananas and a box of orange juice at the market and get a FREE SUITE AT JOBBING/COM arena for the nite!

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I saw a game from Phoenix in November & if there were 5,000 fans in the building, I'd have ben shocked. Total sections were empty. The second level deserted. Instead of watching a game from that casket of an arena with no atmosphere, imagine the excitement if the Coyotes became the Nordiques & they were playing in the old Colisee until the new building gets completed. The place would be rocking!! Seems like a no brainer to me except in Gary Bettman's mind.