Crowd helped on Labour Day

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Crowd helped on Labour Day

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

No sellout though. This team has to stop choking in the playoffs every year if they want the faans coming back.

3. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

That stadium was pretty damn loud in the last 1/2 of the 4th quarter. No doubt we helped.

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

Well now at least they won't have the weight of expectations in the playoffs. It used to be a huge disappointment if they didn't win, now it will be a pleasant surprise if they do win. ;)

5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

32,102 wasn't a sellout? still the second biggest crowd of the weekend. No complaints here.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It was 90 per cent of stadium capacity.

That's got to be a worrisome indicator to the Stampeders given the excitement and interest the game has traditionally generated...

TM

7. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

we're at 22,000 here. try to understand why I'm not complaining about Calgary. ;)

Going to TO saturday. They're actually beating us in attendance. Now That's worrisome. :s

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh, I'm not at all ignorant about attendance in Montreal. I'm fully aware of what your crowds are, as well as what your stadium capacity is there.

But this isn't the East

Calgary has (quite properly) regarded itself as a 'flagship' franchise for attendance in the West, where a different standard prevails due to a greater general awareness of, and interest in, the product.

That interest in the product appears to be slipping in a 'flagship' market such as Calgary has to be 'worrisome' to the Stampeders, as well as to the CFL.

And it should be.

TM

9. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

of course, seeing as the attendance at rider games is slightly higher. there must be balance of horsepower vs. asspower. :D

10. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I think there must be something missing in the translation, there Deuv...('Doovie' has now become 'past tense' and is forever dead to me ...;))

TM

11. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

horse: calgary. ass: ssk. do I have to draw a picture for you? or should I have said gopherpower. I think I know why ztella don't come here now.

12. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I got the 'very subtle' :rolleyes: parallels and the metaphors you were using for the two communities.

I'm just not clear on the allusion you were attempting to draw between Calgary and Regina.

As I'm sure you know, per capita, the 'riders currently outdraw every market in the league.

It's not a matter of 'balancing' anything.

As for your "why ztella don't come here now" comment, I'll let that one slide...

TM

13. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Just as well cuz I need a baseball break tonight. See y'all on friday night.

14. C-COOP

C-COOP Member

Must be a huge concern for the team. There are a lot of season ticket holders out there that buy the seasons tickets just so they get tickets for Labour Day and the Rider games. If you can now walk up and buy these game tickets, attendance will suffer.

I think one of the big issues is that stupid premium pricing policy. Until there is a waitlist for seasons tickets, I think the Stamps are insane to be raising ticket prices.

15. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed on both points, C-COOP.

It's awfully tough to justify 'premium pricing' on tickets when there's no evident demand for them.

All that does is drive down your 'walk-up' gate receipts when casual fans refuse to pay for available tickets for which higher prices are being charged on the supposed pretext that there is real market 'demand' for them.

On that basic economic model, revenues can't help but decline.

We could debate all day why demand has declined, but for whatever reason, it has.

And until they can cultivate that demand once more, the Stampeders would be best advised to be 'price sensitive' to its present market.

TM

16. Rids

Rids Member

The ticket sales have gone down but has the ticket revenue changed? With prices up I'd guess they are making as much or maybe even more than last year.

17. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

They may be stable, or even slightly ahead of the curve, for now.

But when price is inversely proportional to demand, gross revenues, over time, are bound to decline, if demand can't be sustained.

The real issue is whether demand for the product being offered will continue to deteriorate.

If it does, maintaining, or increasing prices in that environment will only lead to a general revenue decline over the long term.

The market is not infinitely elastic.

TM

18. Rids

Rids Member

No but the lemmings of sport have a secondary aspect when it comes to ticket revenue. If the a team, with a traditional fanbase and a history in their location, is winning then tickets we be purchased. Everybody loves a winner and the bandwagon drives the bus (to the bank).

19. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Sure, but that hasn't happened (when it's counted) since 2008.

Demand isn't what it was.

And the market for Canadian professional football (even in Calgary), unlike the market for the NFL, is relatively inelastic.

I said, in an earlier post in this thread, that if the Stampeders want to maintain 'premium pricing' or 'elevated' pricing of any sort in what appears to be a market of declining demand for the product on offer, they are going to have to take steps to re-cultivate that demand.

Fielding a contending team that can win with all the money on the line would go a long way towards doing exactly that.

TM