Cutdown day

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The Stampeders have a little more than 30 hours remaining from the league-mandated 48 hour period to reduce their camp roster following last night's exhibition win over the Eskimos.

Who goes?

And why?

TM

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

Here's your first look at the cuts:

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Robert McCune?? That is a shocker...

4. Don E. Fresh

Don E. Fresh Member

He still has something left in the tank and may get picked up by another team but I think the right decision was made. He is 34 and Lobendahn and Mayo both played very well last night. Also being a CFL vet the Stamps would not have been able to release him if he suffered an injury during the next week. I know Mayo is listed on the depth chart as a MLB, but with the speed he showed on special teams I wonder if he could be moved to outside linebacker? Lobendahn in the middle, Mayo on the edge, with Simpson coming in on passing plays and also backing up 4 positions with his ability to play rush end and LB. Jackson and Simpson better bring it if they want to hold on to their starting roles.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I am not convinced this is a good move as Lobendahn can't last an entire season. He goes out, then what? McCune is a physical specimen & at 34 is in better shaape than even most of his teammates were. So McCune's age doesn't concern me as much as LoBo's knee.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Stamps are probably banking on McCune coming back to the fold if (when) Samoa Joe goes down. I don't know if there's a current CFL club who'd bring a high-ticket 34 yr old MLB into camp - UNLESS there's a significant injury.

Winnipeg has question marks with Labbe & Muambo taking turns at Canuck MLB (ratio problems on dline and o-line) so we might be interestd in Robert if Muambo and Labbe get ravaged next couple matches! But the form chart on Bomber GM "Drowsy Joe" Mack is he'd be looking for an NFL cut or somebody younger/cheaper than McCune....

7. Liske

Liske Member

Definitely didn't see that one coming. McCune looked fairly good last night. Did he not have a good camp overall?

I'm fine with the other releases.

I'd release Talley and Franklin. Talley is too inconsistent, and he dropped a couple of passes last night. Arjei isn't the Arjei of before. Something's wrong, I think he'd rather be back home in Ontario with his family.

8. Christoph

Christoph Member

I agree. I mean I have complete faith in Hufnagel but I just can't wrap my brain around cutting McCune when he still looks like the same beast he was last year. I too would have kept him over Lobendahn.

As for Mayo, keeping him is a no brainer! I was stunned how good he was. Every year you have these guys who come out of nowhere. He and Fred Bennett our INT machine at DB were the two big revelations this year.

9. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Coach Huff's reasoning from Ian Busby's blog.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/cflbuzz/general/c ... -and-cuts/

10. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

That Tucker guy SUCKED last night, but he's a Calgary guy, so I feel sorry for him.

11. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

How is Franklin still on the team? He's been a pretty low impact player ever since being traded here and he was awful last night. Not sure why the Stamps felt the need to bring him back in the first place.

Also McDaniel has to have surpassed Talley on the depth chart after last night I hope.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Talley is a very good player. Had a so so game. No way you let talent like that go without a second chance.

13. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

More info on the McCune release.

14. Erik Estrada

Erik Estrada Member

McDaniel's had a 1000 yard season what has Talley done? I just think McDaniel is more of a gamer and given the depth at the position you are really looking at these guys to make the occasional big play and I have more faith in McDaniel because he's done it before.

15. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Potential, Mr. Estrada. Potential. Talley hasn't had the chance to shine because our receiving corps is so deep.

16. Christoph

Christoph Member

I understand what you're saying, and McDaniel definitely impressed, but I'd say Talley has had equally impressive showing's in pretty limited opportunities.

Plus Talley and Tate have shown solid chemistry in the past, and if Tate is going to be our number one, then we have to base a lot of these decisions around what will give him the best opportunity to succeed.

Now obviously I'm not privy to the coaches thoughts, but I have a feeling the history that Tate and Talley have together would give Talley the edge if it came down to a decision between he and McDaniel.

17. Christoph

Christoph Member

Thanks for all the info on the McCune release Madman. It's been hard for me to wrap my brain around. I loved that he always did whatever the coaches asked him to do and did it very well. The guy was a beast and an extremely hard worker. I wish him all the best, as I'm sure Hufnagel and his staff do, and hope he finds the opportunity to catch on somewhere else. Thanks for giving your all to the Stampeders organization the last few years Mr. McCune.