News Danny Austin News re Stampeder Hirings

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

The Stampeders have also promoted Marc Mueller from running backs coach to quarterbacks coach
    Dave Dickenson says the team has two position coaches hired and are working on a third, but will wait to announce who they are until all three are hired.

John Hufnagel just confirmed to me that Bo Levi Mitchell recently had a “procedure” to try to fix the shoulder issue he has been dealing with for the last couple years.

Hufnagel, on Bo Levi Mitchell's recent surgery

“Everything went very, very well and right now he’s ahead of schedule. We’re hoping for the best and that he can get some work done during training camp but it’s a wait-and-see”

#1 Seeker1, Jan 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
    Tags:
  2. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Anyone think that Arbuckle considers a one year deal with a reasonable bump to stay in Calgary? Not the worst case scenario for either side IMO.

3. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the site, Bob!

I suppose with the uncertainty about the timing for BLM's recovery from his surgery last week, anything's conceivable.

But if that is what they want to do, the Stampeders will have to wait for the opening of free agency in February having now traded away Arbuckle's remaining rights to Ottawa which will expire in February to allow them to work out a deal with the pending free agent if they can.

And I would expect anything the RedBlacks will offer him during that short window will be larger than what the Stampeders are able to pitch at him as "one year insurance" once free agency opens, unless Calgary knows more than they are letting on at the moment respecting Bo's recovery trajectory. ;)

TM

4. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Thank you for the welcome. Quite a bit better than being called a troll and put on probation like some CFL fan sites. Happy to find a place for civilized discussion.

I am up to date on the Arbuckle story but was just thinking that Ottawa might not be the best spot for him and if he were to wait a year there might be better opportunities. No doubt a starting role awaits and anything can happen but they won't get big odds in their favour for winning the cup at this point. Leaping into a tire fire is sometimes something best not to do. I do like the start they have made with Lapo and Benevides though. Less faith in the ownerswhip groups willingness to surround him with good players although that may have only been last year.

How much does Ottawa offer? Believe Sask signed Fajardo for $450,000 and if Ottawa offers that then it would be hard to say no. Not sure they go that high. Masoli was reported at $365,000 last year. Not sure on MBT but Dane Evans, Vernon Adams, and Chris Streveler may have all been on entry level deals so the money and the contributions don't always equal out. Was Arbuckle on an ELC? Pretty sure Collaros was at $300,000.

Just thought that sticking around with a good team and a solid program might not be a bad idea for one more year in an unfinished business kind of way. Huff needs to be in the $250,000 range plus play time bonus but it might be worth it and maybe Arbuckle likes the idea. Especially if there are questions about BLM I know nothing of Cozart so could be something that is already looked after.

Madman and Tundra Mustang like this.
  5. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

You raise some good points, but playing careers in professional football being as short as they are, even a shaky situation can be an attractive proposition for a player if the bankroll is large enough.

Arbuckle has been looking for a starter's job since leaving college, but Georgia State was 4 years ago now and he'll be 27 years old by late in this season.

His window of opportunity to cash in with a relatively hefty payday and a multi-year contract may be slowly closing.

He's gotta be aware of that, too.

He earned less than $60,000.00 as a backup last year with the Stampeders.

For that reason alone, I think he's hungry and I'd be surprised if he looks askance at a multi-year deal in Ottawa or Toronto if he's got the opportunity to make even as little as $300,000.00 per year as a starter for a couple of years while labouring in a program which appears to have little chance of being successful.

But maybe Calgary will still be given the opportunity to make him an offer and prove me wrong. ;)

TM

6. Bob the dog

Bob the dog Member

Stamps got a load of value from N.A. at $60,000. Credit to these guys that are able to separate the money side from their on field performance. It must come up at times when the other guy is making substantially more and contributing less. Likely the same argument the agents use to get the big contracts done.

Dane Evans is in a similar boat although still under contract. Hamilton looking good a QB for this year.

And then you have the was it the QB or was it the team.

One guy I would like to see develop in Calgary is Chris Merchant. Not sure there could be a better place for him to learn although the new two QB thing seems like moving away from the idea of developing internally.

Time will tell.