Darryl's makin' a run...

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Tundra Mustang, May 5, 2012.

1. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It's great to relive, if only vicariously, what looks like could be a repitition of the Flames' incredible run in 2004:

Farmer Sutter plants seed in L.A.

By Robert Tychkowski,Edmonton Sun

LOS ANGELES - What do a 53-year-old straight-talking farmer at heart and some 20-something California millionaires have in common?

A good shot at a Stanley Cup.

Nobody would have predicted this when Crusty and the Kids first teamed up. The Los Angeles Kings were stuck in a season-long malaise, out of a playoff spot and unable to generate anything even closely resembling offence while Darryl Sutter, last we heard, had watched the new-age NHL pass him by in Calgary with the Flames.

A few months later the union seems unstoppable. It powered through the Presidents' Trophy-winning Vancouver Canucks in the first round of the playoffs like they weren't even there and is poised to make even shorter work of the second-seeded St. Louis Blues.

This has the feel of a Morgan Freeman movie, where an uncompromising disciplinarian arrives at the school and whips his delinquent home-room students into math champions. The Kings are seeing the game through his eyes now, playing it his way and, with the size and skill at their disposal, it's a frightening new look.

Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/05/04/fa ... seed-in-la

I have to say that what the man ultimately proved to be lacking in at the GM level, he more than makes up for as an NHL coach...;)

Go Darryl!

And Go Kings!

TM

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We always knew he was a very good coach. The mistake was to make him Grand Poobah of the Flames when he should have just stayed behind the bench. Looking back, what a dumb decision that was by Ken King & ownership.

3. Liske

Liske Member

Yeah, Sutter has always been a better coach than a GM. I am happy for him. He seems to do especially well with young teams.

It will be interesting to see how far the Kings can go. Looks like they'll definitely be in the final four at least. The St. Louis goaltending has totally collapsed this round for some reason.

4. Mathgod

Mathgod Member

I say he gets his revenge over Torts that's 8 years in the making...

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

The L.A. Sutter brother does a great facial impersonation of Popeye the Sailor Man.....

Phoenix vs. LA for the right to go to the S-Cup - who woulda thunkit?
    [hr]
    I love the way Torture-Ella (Torts) tortures the media during his bizarre press conferences. Torts was great during his brief tenure on HNIC - he's also a master of disturbing his media "friends" during press conferences.

There's probably a few guys in the New York media pak that would love to see Torts and his team fail, including that guy who gets into spats with Torts all the time - Larry O'Brien, or Larry something or rather!

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Popeye is a great description. Imagine if someone gave Darryl a pipe?? The knock on Sutter is that he has immediate success as a coach with teams but then his abrasive style wears thin & players tune him out. He stepped down before that happened in Calgary but it appeared that very thing happened in San Jose.

7. Rusty

Rusty Member

Just as long as a Western team wins this year is all I care about. I will be rooting for the Kings.

8. Bronko

Bronko Member

Darryl sure had Dave Tippet's number tonite. Of course, after Shane-o Doan, the Coyotes don't really have enough experience out there. Other than Quick letting in that 'easy' from centre ice, the Yotes were totally controlled by LA's checking schemes.

9. Christoph

Christoph Member

Honestly I will be disappointed regardless of who wins at this point, because the fact that these are the final four teams signifies to me the return of the dead puck era. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike any of the teams. It's just that the NHL really dropped the ball (er... puck?) this year and this dull, defensive hockey is the result.

Whatever happened to finals like Chicago-Philly, Pittsburgh-Detroit, or even Carolina-Edmonton (which was actually a doozy of a series)? We can kiss that type of hockey goodbye if these teams have anything to say about it. And apparently the NHL is all too happy to let it happen. In crunch time, almost nothing is a penalty anymore. The NHL has completely slid back into their own patterns of enforcing a different set of rules in the playoffs and virtually enforcing nothing late in games.

Good job guys. Once again you prove that you have no ability to stick to your guns and be consistent about anything. Ever.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Tippett's only chance to steal the series is to go back to the more forceful style of stifling checking that got them by the superior Nashville side. Smith will have to pitch at least a couple shutouts and the Yotes will have to score a legitimate goal or two. But overall, I agree its pretty crappy 'dead puck' hockey!

11. Rids

Rids Member

It's all up to Smith for the Yotes to do anything.

12. Bronko

Bronko Member

Did I just hear Sutter tell his troops to 'Grind their sticks to sawdust' and 'Take some cheap penalties' in the turd period of their quarter final game with Slovakia?

If true, I guess thats why the Flames chucked him.

Kane gave the game away with a blind pass in the third with Canada clinging to a 1 goal lead.

Then two straight cheap penalties, one by RNH who almost never touches guys in the NHL....

and a 5 major by Getzky Getzlaff to retaliate after Evander Kane was crushed to dirt by a Slovak checkster.....