News DaVaris Daniels : Rejuvenates Career in Calgary, AB, CANADA

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Seeker1, May 27, 2017.

1. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

DaVaris Daniels sprinted 76 yards down the left sideline, simultaneously shedding years of frustration like Forrest Gump ditching his metal leg braces with each increasingly confident stride.

The 6-foot-1, 207-pound wide receiver had just breezed by Hamilton’s helpless cornerback on a double move, before outrunning its overmatched safety and crossing the goal line with relative ease. He whipped the football at no one in particular and unleashed a primal yell.

In Calgary, Alberta, Canada, of all places, Daniels scored his first touchdown in nearly three years. In between, he was suspended (twice) at Notre Dame, overlooked in the NFL Draft and discarded by three separate NFL franchises.

This touchdown — and the eight that followed — were far from guaranteed.

“That moment was so big for me,” Daniels said on Friday in a phone interview from Calgary, where he’s preparing to begin his second season in the Canadian Football League with the Calgary Stampeders. “It was amazing. I got the game ball, and I can’t even explain what I was going through. It was, by far, the best feeling I’ve ever experienced.”

The high, for DaVaris Daniels, was made sweeter — and perhaps, made possible — by an extensive list of preceding lows.

After redshirting his freshman season at Notre Dame in 2011, the Vernon Hills, Ill., product compiled 80 catches, 1,235 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in 2012 and 2013. He led the Irish with 115 receiving yards in the BCS National Championship Game at the end of the 2012 season, and finished second on the team in catches (49), receiving yards (745) and touchdowns (7) the following year, in his junior season.

Link

#1 Seeker1, May 27, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Tags: