Dave Dickenson Not In A Hurry To Be A Cfl Head Coach, Sticks With Stampeders

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave Dickenson not in a hurry to be a CFL head coach, sticks with Stampeders
    Donna Spencer, The Canadian Press

Dave Dickenson feels he's ready to be a head coach in the CFL, but that doesn't mean he's in a rush to become one.

Touted as a coaching prospect when the star quarterback retired in 2009, the 40-year-old is in his third season as offensive co-ordinator and his fifth year on the coaching staff of the Calgary Stampeders.

There are several reasons Dickenson is comfortable in a subordinate coaching role. He believes there's more he can learn about running an offence in the CFL and there's more to absorb from the vast experience of head coach and general manager John Hufnagel.

The Stampeders retained the same coaching staff and most of the starters from the team that reached the Grey Cup final in 2012, so Dickenson can continue to have a key role in what could be a successful team again.

He's also not ready to uproot his family from a city they love to advance his career. That said, Dickenson doesn't doubt his abilities to command an entire football team on the field.

"Personally, I think I'm ready," Dickenson said Thursday at McMahon Stadium. "I'm not worried about it, but I think I'm ready if it comes about.

"I'm not in a hurry to head coach. I like what we've got. I'm not as goal-oriented as a coach as I was as a player. I want to be with a staff, with an organization, with players who make my job fun and who feel like we can win."

The Stampeders host the B.C. Lions on Friday in a CFL pre-season game.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...Dickenson+hurry+head+coach/8523495/story.html