Dave Rutherford To Run For Mayor?

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Madman, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like after his retirement, Rutherford might be making a run at the office of Mayor.

2. Bronko

Bronko Member

In general, talk radio hosts in Canada do not make good politicians. Of course, the bar is not set very high for Canadian politicians, albeit with smurfs like Duffy, w's like Wallin, Brazeau, Harb, etc.
    I know in the history of Winnipeg pols, very few politicians have even attempted to run for office, let alone win office. The major exception was in the 70s when a tough-talking right-wing radio dude named John "I Didn't Go To" Harvard ran for the Liberals after Jim Richardson died. Harvard became a rubber-stamp for legislation from dudes like Paul Martin, P Trudeau, J Chretien, etc.
    When he wore out his welcome in Ottawa he was appointed Lt. Governor of Manitoba and lived the good life for a few years.
    But any hints of the ferocity he was able to fakily foment on radio never surfaced in the sad, sad career of John Harvard.

Christy Clark of BC is probably the most successful ex-radio talk show host but her radio and print career was fairly short as political parties started courting her when they saw what kind of charisma she had.

Rutherford talked a good game on radio but he'd be co-opted as a mayor. Doesn't hurt to give it a whack, does it?

3. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

I've never listened to his show once, but I'd vote for him over the king we have now.

4. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I wonder if it's the home builder group that has approached him to run.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Other than John "I Didn't Go to" Harvard and Christy 'The Pin-Up' Clark I can only think of a few guys who played radio (but weren't radio lifers who got elected to office.

1. Ralph Klein (or was he more newspaper boy)?
    2. Raef Mayer (BC)

A guy named Gerald Fast ran for city council in Manitoba. Fast was a fast-talking radio guy who actually hosted some talk radio for a couple years in the late 90s. I actually guest-hosted with Gerald on a few occassions. Good guy, but the in-group conspired against him and he ran a fairly close second.

6. Rids

Rids Member

Nenshi got a serious push from a TV desk anchor. Now a radio anchor to continue the pattern.

7. K_O_cowtown

K_O_cowtown StampsFans' Luchador & Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd pick Rutherford over his Royal Purpleness any day!!!

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Rutherford can't beat the Pilsbury Dough Boy who lives in his parents basement. He needs to have been running for mayor a year ago & have a strong organization in place like Nenshi already has. Rutherford should wait & run federally for the Conservatives as he'd win. Ideally, he'd be a star candidate for the WRP but by the time another provincial election happens he'll be 67 or 68. Can't stand Nenshi. I'll never vote for him.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

You've got a good point Al. Radio talk show celebrity rarely translates into votes, especially in civic mayoralty contests. Howeer, you are on point when you talk about Lumpy running for federal office in a so-called Alberta Yellow-Dog riding. Called Yellow Dog cuz you could run a yellow dog for the Tories and have a 101% chance of security victory. However, once victory is secured you'd be going to Ottawa with approx. 135 to 150 other so-called yellow-dogs and you'd be issued your marching orders. In Harper's govt. its basically show up to vote when required and make sure you vote for us. Don't initiate anything bigger than cookie drives in your own riding, call the Prime Minister's Office every week for your marching orders.

If in doubt, clam up and await further instructions. Look at the travails of Manitoba MPs Shelley "Smelly" Glover, an ex cop from Winnipeg (basically her duties included cleaning the mens urinals and announcing gang arrests) and James Bezan - both MPs are up for suspension from Parliament as the Electoral Officer didn't like the fact these folks refused to submit audited financial statements from their last election.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Yeah, Dave would have to be a trained seal but if he wants to be a federal politician but if that is what he wants then so be it. If I was him, I'd ride into the sunset & spend time with my wife & family, playing with grandkids & travelling... Enjoying life. Don't think money will be an issue for the guy as he was (I assume) well paid ovet the majority of his career.

11. Stamps Rule

Stamps Rule Member

Calgary is starting to look more like Toronto more and more everyday.

I think it's hilarious (and horribly, horribly sad) that these people from eastern Canada come out here to enjoy our "freedom", wealth and jobs; and then they turn around and vote for the exact same type of people / policy that turned the city/province that they fled into a hell hole.

I'm serious, western Canada needs our own immigration policy for eastern residents moving here.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You look at the mess this province & our city is in & I wonder how different things would have been had Jim Dinning been elected leader of the AB Tories in 2006 instead of that useless POS Ed Stelmach & then Redford. It just set things in motion politically that this province has never recovered from.

13. Liske

Liske Member

1. Ralph was a television news reporter for CFCN before running for mayor.
    2. Rafe Mair was a Socred MLA (Kamloops, 1975-1981). Mair left politics somewhat disillusioned and got offered a morning spot on CKNW in Vancouver where he flourished with high ratings for over a decade.

I guess you could say they were almost the reverse career of each other.