Dodge Caravan

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Rids, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Anybody replaced a starter on a Dodge Caravan? Got a 2003 that all it does is clack (not click...like a battery but that aggravating CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK sound).

Never buy a vehicle from a "friend" you don't trust in the first place. Trying to be nice and help people on their move and I'd be better off walking.

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Hit the starter with a hammer, might be stuck and sometimes that'll loosen it up enough to get it turned over.

In other news, after owning 2 Dodge products in the last couple of years I will never buy another one.

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Find a mechanic you can trust, Rids. Someone you can feel has your best interests at heart & trying not to rip you off. That's the first step in the process IMO. For an older vehicle off warranty, I wouldn't bring it to a dealership as you'll really pay thru the nose for repairs.
    More to Madman's comment & to add a little bit of balance here. I own a 2003 Chrysler Intrepid SE with over 190,000 klm on it. Just got back from an 8,000 klm road trip last Friday with no issues. My car has never gave me any major issues other than replacing the water pump two years ago. IOt is a big car & great to drive on the highway. Almost 30 miles per gallon on the road averaging 70 mph thru Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho & Montana through 100 degree heat.
    I have religiously replaced my oil every 5,000 klm which I think is the key to longevity. Bought the car in 2005 with 28,000 klm on it. I just bought a brand new 2012 Chrysler 200 LX. I have driven it a bit so it now has 154 klm on it now. Decided to hold on to the Intrepid as a third car & for my son when he comes home from college during the year. My older son bought our 2000 Chrysler Neon a year ago with over 155,000 klm on it & it has been very dependable. No major issues... martter of fact... NO mechanical issues since he bought it from my wife. We also have made the oil changes religiously every 5,000 klm as well. That car had less than 2,000 klm on it when we bought it in 2001 from Tower Chrysler. So, our Chrysler vehicles have been good.