Doogie 58's Excellent Edmonton Adventure

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Doogie58, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

Just a report from a guy who actually went to the game and my overall experience in Commonwealth Stadium and Edmonton before, during and after the game:

Left Calgary about 3:30 Friday afternoon, Deerfoot Trail traffic jam, basically cost us pretty much the 1st quarter of the game live. Other than that pretty smooth sailing up the QEII. Stayed at the Coliseum hotel, Groupon Coupon, decent place, nice room - $10.00 traffic jam cab ride to stadium. Same bag check as at McMahon.

Stadium is about 15 years newer than McMahon, and the differences are obvious. Wider concourses, more concessions and bathrooms that are larger and faster to get in and out of. Beer sales are easy, vendors throughout the concourse, and in stands - 16 oz Canadians are $8.50 - same as American ballparks. We got Ticketmaster tickets on Thursday night- First row Upper deck, there is a wide walkway between seats and upper deck wall, which has a safety rail on top of it. Interfered with girlfriend's sightlines marginally, I was tall enough to see over it. If sitting in upper deck sit 2 or 3 rows back from front row. Lots of legroom no matter waht row you are in. Beers and 50 / 50 tickets to you seats - no issues at all. 50/50 system same as McMahon now, same as Flames, but different price points 1 for $5, 3 for $10 or 10 for $20. For a $108,518 pot we bet $40.00, not even close numbers were about 100,000 numbers away! The big difference was that they had LOTS of coverage, and MANY machines for the selling of the tickets. They had CLEARLY identifiable Yellow aprons on and were easy to spot.

There were many more food choices available, and although we didn't eat there a lot of the choices on the menu boards looked interesting and more varied than at McMahon. They have Boston Pizza there for example. Seats were comfy, basic stadium seats. Fans were friendly, during the game and after they had their hearts broken, I shook a lot of their hands after game and had good football chats with them. Esk fan knows football, and are friendly! And although the stadium announcer encourages the Fans to be loud, in NO WAY does it become overbearing or obnoxious as it does in Calgary. Halftime show was good, a name C&W singer - Dean Brody - on a sound system that was loud and clear enough! The vibe in the stadium overall was a way more relaxed than the overbearing security in Calgary, and when I put my beer on the wall for a few seconds, the security guy - in shorts and a T-shirt - was real nice about asking me not to put it there. No overbearing EPS presence anywere it seemed, or that I noticed.

After the game we wanted to go downtown, but met some great fans, who gave us info on how to get downtown, but then invited us to go to a close by Italian joint and have appies and drinks with them. We all crammed into their van, and away we went, Great fans, friendly people, it kind of helped that coincidentally some of them knew my girlfriends uncle from being in Calgary years ago! Small world! When the bar closed, they drove us back to our hotel, dropped us off and bid us farewell! Nice people!

To top off the visit, I was able to hook up with Tundra Mustang for Brunch on Saturday on the way out of town, and had a nice visit and a couple of beers with him, It was nice to meet a long time poster on the GSG site and here, and we had a very nice visit. Thanks to Terry for making time in his busy day to meet with us and graciously buy my girlfriend and I lunch to boot! If you come to Calgary Terry, we will be glad to repay you the favour!

Overall, a great experience, and oh - by the way, it was topped off with an exciting well fought Stampeder victory.

I would highly encourage other Stamps fans to make the trip to Edmonton for this game, it was a great experience, one of which I would do again next year and beyond. Fun time!

Tags:
  2. Bronko

Bronko Member

They have stadiums in Edmonton & Calgary?

In Wpg. they have a giant latrine with 29,000 seats, no sense of order and just an overall sense of chaos.

Its all good. Next year (approximately, everything in Wpg is approximate) we'll have a brand spankin' new 33,500 stadium, albeit laden with more chaos and mismanagent but far better site lines.

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Outstanding story Doogie - sounds like you had a great time!

Thanks for posting it.

4. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice to see TM so generous. Next year should be a Group outing. :D

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Doogie, about time you posted here. Great story. The last time I visited Commonwealth was the 1991 Western Final where pee Wee Smith caught the winning TD pass from Danny Barrett & kept on running out of the stadium!! Rumour has it he's somewhere in Brazil still running & still holding onto the football!! ;)

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

It was my pleasure, Dougall! :D

We've been threatening for a few years now to get together and permit me to swap some lies over a few tequilas with one of my favourite posters from GSG, and while we didn't manage that, I hope that lunch and a couple beers together on the patio at Moose Factory on a beautiful late summer afternoon here in Edmonton after yet another Stampeders win the night before at Commonwealth was not too shabby a consolation event...;)

It was very nice to also meet your girlfriend, Cecilia, and as I said to you, next time you're in town, given a little more preparation time, we'll gladly have you over for a bbq or somethin'...and if a game's on, join you at Commonwealth.

I guess our 'photo opportunity' didn't turn out, huh?...should have taken a few more pictures just in case, I guess...:p

We'll try it again next time you're back...or I'll look you up next time we're down south... ;)

TM

7. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

No, the pic is great, I just can't figure out how to load it to the site. I read Madman's post elsewhere how to do it, will try again tonite!

She and I will be back next year for Labour Day rematch. See You then! If the Western semi is here and Edmonton is in or whoever, and you want to come down for the game, or for the game Edmonton are here on the 28th, or any other home game let us know - we can probably arrange for you to have ONE of our sets of tickets!;)

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

For anyone who's interested, Doogie forwarded me the photo he was trying to load on the site after his visit to Edmonton last month for the Labour Day rematch.

Here's Doogie (in the Stampeders jersey) and yours truly enjoying a couple of brews together on a sunny patio at the Moose Factory 6 short weeks ago when it was still warm in this part of the world...;)

Here's hoping the Stampeders can win this one tonight in the "blizzard" in Calgary, and I can get down there for the WSF where Doogie and I can finally down those tequilas...:D

TM

9. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Well, you ARE the Dos Equis Man!!

10. Doogie58

Doogie58 Member

The Guest room and the Don Julio Anejo awaits your arrival Mr. Mustang...:)