Dorian Smith joins PR

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Rids, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

Stampeders have gone practice roster shopping and have added DT Dorian Smith to the PR today.

Smith was formerly a Bomber.

Tags:
  2. Rids

Rids Member

More on Dorian:

Full CFL.ca article - http://www.cfl.ca/article/calgary-adds- ... mith-to-pr

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... 08&genpos=

Also added Hilee Taylor another DT who was most recently released by Tampa (his 3rd NFL team).

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... genpos=olb

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

We have problems but DL isn't one of them. How about strengthening the receiving, running back & offensive line?

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Smith is a solid old american vet who's got a tiny bit more push than another former bomber Donny O (now in Edmonton colors)
    Smith will give you an extra body on d-line, a nice rotational guy who will not get more than 1.5 sacks if he plays all years, he'll get a ton of those infamous "Doug Brown Hurries" but most of those are inconsequential. Still a good add.
    Smith will get himself injured if he doesn't like what he's seeing and collect CFL pogey!

5. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

I agree the DL is not the issue at hand for this team. My concerns are more for the OL. At the present time, especially last game the OL looked and played terrible. Everyone who follows the Stamps know what Cornish said and although the way he delivered his message was not good for team moral and unity, but I felt were spoken in truth and conviction. Give credit to BC D, but through five games I think the OL has been dominated more by the opposition than they have dictated play to the D (DL).

Outside of Lewis, I haven't seen another receiver make the difficult catches to extend drives. We release Talley because of ratio, well how about Bryant? What has he done lately?

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

You could merge Calgary's o-line with Winnipeg and you still wouldn't be able to field an above average CFL o-line..... the best guy on Winnipeg is Glyn January and he wouldn't make any other roster than Calgary or Wpg.
    After that Chris Greaves, a canuck OG with limited experience who should be a sixth man, not a starter at this point in his career.
    Steve Morley & Tamborine are both giant turnstiles. Sorenson (Bomber NI Ctr) is another guy who should be developmental or 6th man, not starting and calling out plays.

Dmitri is the only man on either roster who most CFL teams would covet. Last year Bombers had Labatte but he was air-lifted out of boogerville.

7. Bumpnrun

Bumpnrun Member

Presently by looking at other practice rosters there aren't any O-Linemen who can upgrade the Stamps OL. Unlike receivers and RB's, where there seems to be more of a selection to choose from, at this stage in the season OL {especially Canadian} is very hard to find or pluck from other practice rosters.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

If the Stamps want to upgrade the OL, the only way to do it is a trade. Some of the Canadians we have playing for us don't deserve to start but we're stuck with them...

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Maybe Serena Williams will consider a new career. That woman could thrash a ton of men!

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

The Stamps don't do that. They let their best OL walk away (Archibald) when he became a FA. Guess they'd rather spend the money on another receiver never was then make sure the line is the best it can be. Then there's Jessie Newman who pisses me off everytime I see that ***** play. Huff just released him. I'd have suspended for the entire season with no pay then let him sweat in the off season. Then let him come back like a whipped puppy. Or trade the guy for something, anything. So, BC got two of our top OL for nothing... NOTHING!!

11. PAUL74

PAUL74 Member

Hi Guys. First time poster. Just to correct ISO I beleive we received two draft picks for Newman. Huff did not release him. And Newman is on the nine game list right now. As for Ben Archibald I agree that was a very bad choice by Huff. from what Ben has said Huff never even gave him an offer and was willing to stay in Calgary for less then other teams had offered him( Him and his wife had just had twins). I would guess that after Huff is finished with coaching etc. even he would say that was a bad choice. As for Newman he was a virus in the locker room and Huff had no choice but to send him packing and to get anything for him was a bonus.

Great site guys

12. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

You remember the same things I do about Archibald and Newman, and why neither of them are here anymore (although in Ben's case, I also know he's from a Mormon family in the Redmond, Washington area just south of Seattle, so an offer from the Lions probably didn't need to contain the same financial incentives that, say, an offer from Toronto might have).

In any case, thanks for your first post with us, and welcome to StampsFans, PAUL! :D

TM

13. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Welcome Paul74... Appreciate the input. Don't be shy... Feel free to join in the conversation anytime.