Doug Brown Rates CIS TOP 4 Prospects

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Bronko, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Bronko

Bronko Member

Interesting to see how slow, immobile and semi-weak (reps) Giant Haystacks (Matt Sewell) came out of the combine.

A 5.5 second 40 won't get him a sniff in the NFL, only 16 reps and no vertical whatsoever. Of course, many say these type of skills are not required in CFL. Too big for NFL centre spot!

Didn't know that Stef Charles was over 6'5" and 330 lbs. Almost too much weight as Brown himself was 6'8" and never weighed more than 301 in CFL, in fact played his last 4 years at 289. Charles could be a burst-monster in the first half of games, tire rapidly and burn a 2nd half roster spot.

Gaydosh or Aquilar seem to be Brown's picks for 1-2. I suspect he's right as Sewell might go 5 to 9, maybe even as low as 10th overall.

Aquilar is awfully small and we know CFL o-hogs aren't getting smaller. They might whip this boy bad.

If Charles was 310-315 he might be worth the pick.

Otherwise, I suspect Hamilton is debating Gaydosh vs. Lumbala with their first pick and let the Bombers braintrust make a picking error between Gaydosh and Charles or Charles and Aquilar.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinio ... 87551.html

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Lumbala is rated 7-9 as I understand. Rids would set me straight on that. But this is a draft deep with OL & DL so I can't see Lumbala jumping up as high as the first pick. Canadian running backs just don't get drafted that high. Who could use a Canadian running back at the 7-9 position? Toronto? Nah, they have Kackert. Montreal, maybe... just can't see it. Calgary, no way...BC, nope. So, maybe Lumbala is taken second round. Prediction: Gaydosh will go before Lumbala.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Three things to keep in mind.

1. Stefan Charles at 324 lbs jumped 37" in the vert jump. Linden Gaydosh jumped 33.5" (no official weight but I'm expecting that it'll be announced in the 310 range).

2. Also both players are at that weight currently because of NFL tryouts/combines still to come. If Charles/Gaydosh was down at 290 then there's no chance for an NFL team to use them as a DT/NT.

3. What was Doug Brown's weight during his NFL year? The guy got busy comparing his final CFL years to the NFL tryout years of players in a new era. Sometimes folks should keep good ideas to themselves.

Ben D'Aguilar:
    D'Aguilar for as much as the press wants to place him as a DE I really can't see it. He is much better suited to be an outside linebacker rushing off the end. 235 pounds gets swallowed up by 310 pound offensive tackles. Further breakdown of D'Aguilar's career brings up more questions than answers. Yes he set the new CIS sack record by tallying 12.5 sacks in 8 games which is fantastic. But he only had 29 hits last year too (68 hits for his career - his tackle number will be lower because the CIS counts assisted tackles as 1/2, I use the hits number to compare better with the NCAA kids). Ben spent a lot of time in the backfield but that was part of the McMaster gameplan on defense to pick up his blocker and leave Ben free and clear on the edge. In my mind he's a fantastic OLB prospect that could really own that position. Trouble is only 4 non-imports started as LB last year and one of those retired (Kevin Eiben). Hamilton might be a good home for him to join Shomari Williams.

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

D'Aguilar could be seen as a long term prospect. It took Henoc Muamba a couple of seasons to become a starter at ILB so the same will probably be the same for this guy. If he is that good, then his time will eventually come, I would think.

5. Rids

Rids Member

Henoc Muamba: 2 seasons - 29 games; starting MLB; 65 defensive tackles; 35 special teams tackles; 3 Sacks; 1 Forced Fumble; 1 Fumble Recovery; 1 defensive TD.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Muamba has become a pretty good linebacker. One of those ratio changers, for sure. Only get better.

7. Rids

Rids Member

True but the only reason why he works in Winnipeg is because of Pierre-Luc Labbe who can take that spot when Muamba needs a break or if he gets nicked up again. Without Labbe there is no Muamba.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think if you said that on Our Bombers that you'd get some pretty interesting & colourful responses back, Rids. Things are getting a bit heated over there right now. Tense. The release of Elliott has really brought things to a head as it now seems clear the starter is going to be Buck Pierce. The one thing Bomber fans don't want to happen because they know he'll get hurt again.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Labbe is a decent backup canuck MLB who'd be a detractive liability if he started for any winning program. Enough to turn a 10-8 team into an 8-10 team for instance.

Pierre is smart, but he's ploddawful slow, his drop is below average to pukey at times. Any slash runner just needs a minor touch on him to obtain big yards.

If Pierre wasn't here, the Bombers would have a backup mlb who also served special teams and such. If Mack somehow fluked out and brought in a Bighill or Solly Bomb Bombs, etc. then that guy would become the starter and Mumboa becomes the backup.

10. Bronko

Bronko Member

Yes, even the shills and super lambs are putting up minor resistance to these moves. What they don't realize is that Mack & Burke are just shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. The Bombers record will fall somewhere between 2-16 (slightly pessimistic) to 6-12 (slightly optimistic).... the smart money is on 4-14.

11. Rids

Rids Member

If it wasn't Labbe it would need to be another non-import. You can't survive with 7 non-import starters without having 7 non-import back ups that can step in.

Taking Winnipeg as the example - When they started a non-import RB they had 2 NI RBs as back ups; 1 starting NI WR and 2 backups; 3 NI starters on OL with 2 back ups that could fill in at C/G; 1 NI DL starter and 2 back ups; 1 NI LB starter and 1 NI LB back up; 1 NI safety starter and 1 back up.

Where you start non-imports you MUST have non-imports as back ups.

12. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Which is a huge problem as we know. Paying Americans to sit on the bench is not good.