Doug Flutie: A Football Life

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Liske, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Liske

Liske Member

Good documentary on Doug Flutie from the NFL film series: A Football Life.

#1 Liske, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    Tags:
    deuvl likes this.
  2. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

He was da man.

3. Rids

Rids Member

How did you first become a Doug Flutie fan???

4. Liske

Liske Member

To be honest, I'd never heard of Flutie until he started playing for the BC Lions. I didn't know about his Boston College glory days, or his stints with the Bears and Patriots until those things were talked about by the Canadian sports press. He looked good a lot better in his second year in BC and I thought the Lions were going to do some serious damage in the playoffs in 1991. (I didn't think Calgary would make it to the Grey Cup that year).

I was shocked when BC did not resign him (I didn't realize at the time that the Lions could never have competed with Larry Ryckman's offer to Flutie). As much as I hate Ryckman for what he did to Doug and his handling of the Stampeder franchise, I am grateful he brought Flutie to Calgary and for recognizing that Flutie was "the Wayne Gretzky of the CFL".

So I guess I became a bit of a fan when Doug played in BC. But of course became a much bigger fan when he signed with Calgary.

#4 Liske, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

I wasn't following the cfl then for lack of a team in Montreal but I heard of Flutie's greatness and Calgary winning a grey cup was a big deal considering I'd never see them win as a kid in the 80s.