Dressler/Getzlaff

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by iso_55, Jul 20, 2012.

1. iso_55

iso_55 Member

How come I admire Weston Dressler, even admit that I grudgingly like the little guy for the way he plays yet I can't stand Chris Getzlaff?? Same team, both are great players but one I hope drops every football thrown at him & the other I marvel at every amazing catch he makes... No matter what Getzlaff does, he could catch 200 footballs in a season & I will never respect him as a receiver. Maybe it's because his brother plays for the Ducks, a team I despise other than Teemu Selanne. Am I the only Stamp fan to feel that way?

Tags:
  2. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

Nope, you aren't.

And for precisely the same reasons you've cited.

Although I don't hold Dressler in quite the same state of high eseem that you seem to do...;)

TM

3. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think it all goes back to this stupid "Canadian Air Force" hype we heard when Fantuz, Getzlaff & Bagg played together in Saskatchewan. Now, it's in Hamilton with two overrated Canadian receivers in Andy "I Had One great Season" Fantuz & the Adonis Giguerre who doesn't look like he could catch a cold. I mean Gigueere is so good I don't even know his first name. Getting back to the Riders, it was all the hype from Riderville & on TSN about how these 3 guys came from nowhere & became stars. Well, Fantuz is like I say, way overrated, Bagg's career is probably over so all that's left is Getzlaff now in Saskybush. For me, that's where my dislike for the guy came from. All the hype.

4. Bronko

Bronko Member

Both Getzky & Mr. Dressup missed several catchable Durantees last nite. Getz had them bouncing off his hands (2 or 3 clear drops) while Dressler made one fatal drop in the final 3 or 4 minutes where he failed to secure the ball, instead trying the classic mistake of turning up field without the pigskin. Bomber receivers aren't the only ones who come up with frying pan hands - although the bombers consistently have the dropsies!

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Hey, I don't hate Getzlaff as a person, I think most people understand that. I just think he's overhyped & he plays for the Riders. He & Dressler are about all they got now. I think the rest of the league is going to catch up to the Riders real quick. They aren't as good as they think. Or their fanbase thinks. Yesterday Chamblin was talking about the team going thru adversity with Bagg's sudden departure. Now, they blew a 17 point lead & he's talking about maturity?? The guy may be a good coach (jury's still out) but talk about cliches he uses. I heard his interview after the game & it was like he was quoting out of the coaches handbook of cliches. Man, just say your team blew it. Not about maturity. it's about execution. And knowing your responsibilities as a player.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

Champ & co. get a pass for last nite's game as they thought they had the Stamps canned and ready for pruning. But Kevin Glenn came up big (as he does on occasion) and kicked some rider butt.

If Champ's charges get hammered next outing I suspect Taman will get on the blower, looking for some better hands to replace Bagg. By that time the bombers could be in desperation country and could be convinced to trade Pooblah or Watson (fairly reliable guys and canuck) if Taman gives up some primo hog stock.