Eskimos release Jyles

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Madman, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

The Ricky Ray trade is the gift that keeps on giving.

http://www.cfl.ca/article/eskimos-relea ... even-jyles

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Jyles may be a valuable backup. May look good in an Als uniform. But his starting days are over, I would think.

3. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

With Porter signed I doubt it, winnipeg however......

4. Flash

Flash Member

If Jyles wants to continue in football he's left with the Arena League or coaching I would guess.

5. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I think he will stillplay in the CFL but as a backup. What he should have been doing all along.

6. Bronko

Bronko Member

iso is correct . . . there's always a market for a dumb, athletic backup QB with a canon arm!

Montreal might take him to backup Q Porter and be their sacrificial plunger on 2nd or 3rd and short situations!!!

But I wouldn't trust Jyles with a legit CFL offense. . . just not enuf thinkin' power....

7. Flash

Flash Member

I don't think it's brainpower but an uncontrolable arm. The guy can't put any touch on it.

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

He also comes across as a guy who doesn't give a you know what when he isn't playing well. He has the Damon Allen persona which a lot of fans mistook as an I don't care attitude. The only difference is Allen won 3 Grey Cups & was the CFL's leading passer until AC overtook him. Jyles can only dream.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Sometimes a robotic and stoic personality is a mask for incompetence. I'd say thats the case for Jyles. Flash's point about having an uncontrollable mega-arm is also valid. Combined with the guy going off-script too much he's a pain for most coaches.

If he wants to work in the CFL he'll have to take a massive pay cut and start off as a 3.

Calgary has a robotic, semi-stoic guy named Glenn but for the most part Glenn is a disciplined on-field warrior who's limitations go more to his tiny stature (5'8.5") and limited running threat than to his head & accuracy.

10. blueandgoldguy

[align=center]

Jyles might be ideal coming off the bench for some team like Hamilton or BC if the starting QB is injured or struggling. Give the opposition a different look. And it can work sometimes. See the Bomber - Lions game from 2010. Bombers were down by 17 points I think and Jyles comes in the fourth quarter and leads the team to a victory in overtime. In a way, Jyles performance in that game led to the demise of Casey Printers who was released immediately afterwards and hasn't been heard from since.

I think that's really all Jyles is good for at this point though. A relief pitcher so to speak or short term starter if the QB is injured for a game or two. Can't see him as a long term injury replacement at QB like Glenn was for Tate this past season. That would probably be a disaster.[/align]