Esks Unveil Name of New Starting QB

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Christoph, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Christoph

Christoph Member

And that man is...

Steven Jyles??? Awesome!!!!!!!!!! On behalf of all Stamps fans, thanks Tillman. ;)

Here's the story:
    Jyles won the job based on seven passes. I can't help but think the whole thing wasn't a bit predetermined heading into camp.

Then again, what choice did the coaches have? Joseph is old and looks every bit his age. He's a running QB who's lost his wheels. The other main contender Matt Nichols simply didn't look anywhere near ready to start. In other words it was pretty much Jyles by default. Not a good situation for the Eskimos.

Great situation for everyone else though. Nice of Edmonton to be so self-sacrificing eh?

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I do not like Tillman. I hope what he did to the Eskimos qb situation blows up on him & he's gone from the CFL for good. I know that there's a lot of Eskimo fans who feel the same way that I do.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Nobody likes Grinder, especially the red-headed stepchild version. But you're right - its pre-determined. Joseph is nearly 40 and he doesn't read defenses that well and despite still being a slightly better runner and passer than Jyles his turnovers would kill the Esks - - - better to have him coming off the bench for limited minutes when Jyles falters.

Jyles is only 31, relatively fresh, has a bit of game but suffers from the same major fault as Joseph, reading defenses and going thru all his progressions. Unlike Ricky Ray, Jyles panics when he feels the slightest bit of heat.

4. Christoph

Christoph Member

True Nate, but what reason does Ricky Ray ever have to panic anyway? His read progression is, A) look at his primary target for a split second, and if he isn't wide open, B) dump it off to a safety valve. :p

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Ricky might be the most famous 'Look & Dump' guy in the history of pro football. NFL or CFL. . . . can u think of anyone close, Al?

6. deuvl

deuvl Moderator
    Staff Member

on behalf of all cfl fans outside of edmonton should the esks finish last.