Expansion draft possibilities

Discussion in 'Calgary Stampeders Talk' started by Madman, May 29, 2013.

1. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

DrewTate.JPG

Expansion draft possibilities add intrigue to Stamps’ quarterback depth chart
    Bo Levi Mitchell would seem to be an attractive prize for Ottawa in December, but Calgary could also decide to keep him over Tate and Glenn
    Vicki Hall, CalgaryHerald.com

A smiling and tanned John Hufnagel made his training camp depth chart public Tuesday at a media luncheon in the Calgary Stampeders clubhouse.

True to his word, the head coach/general manager listed Drew Tate as his starting quarterback, followed by Kevin Glenn, Bo Levi Mitchell and newcomer Ryan Perrilloux.

But make no mistake: the No. 3 guy on the depth chart promises to deliver plenty of intrigue in the 2013 Canadian Football League season.

Under CFL rules, the Stamps can only protect one quarterback in the Ottawa expansion draft slated for Dec. 12. Conventional wisdom suggests Tate — just entering is prime at age 28 — will be the guy on the “hands-off” list.

But the strong-armed Mitchell — a CFL sophomore at age 23 — oozes raw talent and calm under pressure in the pocket.

And how, exactly, can Mitchell show the Stampeders exactly what he can do if he is holding a clipboard on the sidelines?

“Bo did a nice job in his first year,” Hufnagel was saying the other day. “I expect to see improvement in training camp, and usually those types of things will take care of themselves.

“I’m not a guy that’s going to be worried about something until it’s time to be worried about it.”

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...ansion+draft+possibilities/8447024/story.html

2. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

My vote for Stampeder QB is Bo Levi Mitchell over Tate!

3. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

I really think this is the make or break year for Tate.

If he can't stay healthy, then how can the Stamps continue to hitch their wagon to him?

I like the fire he brings to the team and don't envy Coach Huff if Tate plays well this year and shows he is a true #1 QB in this league.

4. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

I concur! However, I like the apparent desire, focus, take charge attitude, and athletic ability of Mitchell better than Tate.

5. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Can't disagree with any of that.

The calm focus he has is a great attribute to have as well.

We are a lucky club to have 3 top level QBs on our team.

6. Seeker1

Seeker1 Member

It is not a "good time," from a Stampeder fan's perspective, to have an expansion draft" around the corner." :(

7. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Maybe it is?

Maybe it just forces our hand as a team to make the tough choices and not sit on our hands?

But probably not.