FA Rookie to Make the Biggest Impact?

Discussion in 'CFL League Talk' started by Rids, May 17, 2012.

1. Rids

Rids Member

So before the season starts what free agent signing are you the most interested to see in the CFL?

For me so far it's Yamon Figurs up in Edmonton. The guy was a NCAA flash that I figured was ideal CFL since the first time I saw him play. Put up good numbers, got himself drafted but really doesn't fit the NFL style of play. Hopefully he has the old form still.

Tags:
  2. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I want to see Westerman & Pall play. Both are getting a lot of hype.

3. Bronko

Bronko Member

Obviously looking forward to seeing a ton of fresh rooks perform this year, the Heenan kid in Sask, Westerman in BC and Pall. Intrigued now that Rids brings Yamon 'Don't' Figurs up........

In Wpg. looking forward to seeing Johnny November (aka Giovanni April) perform.....

and to see how much Henoc Muambo has progressed as a starting MLB..... and what point the Bombers swallow their gum and admit the Jade Etienne pick was a total botch-job!!!

4. iso_55

iso_55 Member

Bauman has lasted what, 6 seasons? I'm sure Etienne has a long career ahead of him even if he never plays, Nate.

5. Bronko

Bronko Member

Could be true, Al.

However, Bauman is 6'3" and probably comes in around 210/215 whereas Etienne has to stand on his toes to come in at 6'2" but he probably weighs around 157/163 which is CFL unacceptable unless your name is Mack Herron, Charles Roberts or Wayne Gretzky.

Bauman doesn't earn his money but he still hauls down 12 to 15 passes a season and knocks down another 5 to 10.

6. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I hear ya. For me, I'm prepared to give Etienne another year before I really start criticizing him in earnest as far as his ability to catch the football. If I do have a criticism of the guy it was his lack of time in the weight room. How can someone who played in the CIS for 4 years be so skinny? To me, that tells me a little something about his (lack of) work ethic, (lack of) committment to his team & (lack of ) heart. Something that Joe Mack should have picked up on. Pretty disappointing that a kid who went so high in he draft was so lazy. And while that may be a harsh thing to say about a kid, there's no other way to look at it.
    At Tyler's junior college they have an off season boot camp the first 2 weeks after Xmas break where they do gruelling conditioning at 5:30 in the morning for 2 straight weeks. He told me that it is mandatory & anyone who misses a day owes the coach an additional 2 hours of workouts for every day he misses. NOBODY misses any days. He said the puking & wretching during these workouts is amazing as the parking lot is as he says in his own words, "is painted in puke". That boot camp is designed to weed out the players who really don't want to play football.
    Then after that boot camp is finished mid to third week of January, it's the weight room EVERYDAY from that point on until end of classes in May. Again, if a player misses the lifting more than a few times, they are cut from the team... Tyler has gained 22 lbs of muscle in 18 months. Gone from 190 to 212 lbs. He has found he loves the lifting... Can throw the football farther, is stronger & should reduce injuries.
    I saw a video today actually, where the strength coach at Michigan State was talking about lifting & the high, high, HIGH expectations the coaches have on their players. Like Tyler's college, the lifting & conditioning in the off season is gruelling with no days off. He said there is a sign in the Michigan State weight room that says "The Green Jersey Is Earned. Not Given."
    Just some insight into this. Tyler would never dare miss a workout as he considers himself a leader on his team to help them win.

7. Bronko

Bronko Member

TREMENDOUS, AL! Very unique insight. Its amazing this is done in college but at the pro level everyone is one their own, or handed a training plan at the end of the season and then the coaches have to pray the guys keep to the plan. Only one more reader needs to browse your comment Al and that person is none other than Jade Etienne!

8. iso_55

iso_55 Member

You know I don't like to run down a young player like. Etienne but he is a CFL player now. I hope the guy is able to have a great career.

9. Bronko

Bronko Member

Bombers blundered (as usual) with their uptake on Kid Etienne by obvserving a 6'1", 155lb. galloping ghost with 4.6 speed who was blowing by inferior 5'7" to 5'9" CIS pluggers who couldn't stay with him. He was virtually running practice routes in regular CIS play and the bomber braintrust misinterpreted that as being a dominant receiver. Boy, does that take brains or what?

They'll let him be a uniform-filler for the better part of this season or until they can find someone who can run routes in traffic and catch the f'n pigskin.

10. iso_55

iso_55 Member

I hear he's up to 180 lbs now. Needs another 10 lbs minimum to be able to play receiver & ST's.

11. Christoph

Christoph Member

Pun intended? At his weight he won't be filling out that uniform much will he? ;)