Fall TV Line Up

Discussion in 'SF Lounge' started by Rids, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Rids

Rids Member

So what shows are folks watching?

Working from home I've been able to watch a bunch during the day. Here's some thoughts.

The Crazy Ones - thought Robin Williams would be funnier in his return to TV. It has potential and I'll catch it again just to see. :cool:

The Michael J. Fox Show - lots of build up for this show and the first episode was pretty good (although you saw most of it just from the commercials) but the second episode was a step back. Not sure it's going to deliver what people want it to but will give it another try. :cool:

Dads - some laughs but honestly what are the chances that two best friends would both have their dads move in with them the same week? They should've thought that out a little more. :rolleyes:

Mom - because parental figures are obviously the key this fall there can't be a show about Dads without a show about Mom. Actually laughed more at this than I expected to. Will make sure to watch the second episode. :happy:

The Blacklist - I was on the fence with this prior to watching but it delivered in a big way. If you liked "Alias" when it started you'll like this. Very well written and full of twists. :woot:

Brooklyn Nine Nine - If you liked Andy Samberg on SNL then you'll like this. If you didn't you'll hate it. :p

Who's watching the other shows?

Tags:
  2. Madman

Madman Administrator
    Staff Member

Boardwalk Empire and Sons of Anarchy are the top two shows I watch in the Fall.

We supplement with our regular sprinkling of reality shows and that's about it for us.

The wife PVRd the MJF show, but we haven't had a chance to watch it yet - I was hoping it was going to be solid, but wasn't holding my breath.

3. Rids

Rids Member

Saw "The Goldberg's" last night. Not a bad 80s show but full of the typical jokes. Good cast but I'm not sure it lasts the sweeps.

4. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

The Project Guatemala, Mondays on OLN and CityTV.

http://www.oln.ca/shows/the-project-guatemala/

Nine unsuspecting, self-absorbed and entitled 20-somethings from Canada are lured to an all-inclusive private resort in the Guatemalan highlands jungle under the premise that they're there on an open-ended invitation to participate in a reality show where they're filmed while partying and carousing with one another, when, while hung-over after only 3 hours of sleep, the real purpose of their travel is laid on them the next morning: to commit to a 6 week build of an orphanage while living in primitive conditions and a lot of squalor just like the locals do.

It's a fascinating journey watching the human dynamic unfold.

TM

5. Rids

Rids Member

Not good ratings in Canada for the CanCon shows.

6. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never paid very much attention to ratings, myself.

If I'm interested in a program, I'll watch it.

If not, I couldn't care less whether the rest of the world watches it rapturously.

There's plenty of absolute shit on television that millions will avidly watch, despite the lack of quality.

And the producers will keep cranking the stuff out because the ratings are great. :eek:

I happened upon this one 9 days ago while channel surfing through the 'time-shift' section on Telus OptimaTV and caught it on the Vancouver CityTV outlet at 11pm. Hardly prime viewership time, and a program I had heard nothing about before I literally stumbled across its premiere.

This one's a self-contained seasonal series of maybe 6 or 7 programs (since they've covered the first 12 days of the 42 day build in the first 2 episodes), so its not subject to the 'poor ratings cancellation syndrome' which plagues many programs south of the border after only a program airing or two.

I'd expect that it'll play out through the course of all of its remaining episodes.

TM

7. Rids

Rids Member

Yes CanCon shows do get a greater opportunity to survive because the stations that they air on need them. Dropping a CanCon show would result in a shuffling of the rest of the schedule too. Much like a non-import OL going down during the first series of the game!

8. Tundra Mustang

Tundra Mustang Moderator
    Staff Member

A very apt analogy.

TM